Late to the Game in Georgia USA

If your problem does not fall into the above catagories, hopefully you will find some answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
AHAMAYfrank
AntiSpam: No

Late to the Game in Georgia USA

Post by AHAMAYfrank » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:45 am

I have been keeping my eyes open for quite some time and finally purchased my NS400R last week Monday. Quite a few have come up for sale over the years, but financial timing or geography have been out of line until now. I am a bit west of Atlanta, Georgia and I drove to Nashville for a look see and purchase (about 5 hours).

I do get a bit wordy, so maybe you might need an adult beverage to make it through my first post.

The man I bought the bike from owned quite a few bikes and had this one for a number of years. He finally decided that others were ahead on the schedule and to let it go. I did get quite a lot of used spares that I have dipped into already.

It looks like tomorrow may be a good day for a test ride. I have been reading and working daily so thanks to everyone for the great info here.

Considering that the bike had 12 owners before it left New Zealand and who knows how many here in the US, things were not butchered up too bad. The previous owner did get it running after sitting, but I basically started over.

Overall I am pretty happy with my purchase and I am looking forward to a little spin tomorrow.

Frank S.

Channel Hopper

Re: Late to the Game in Georgia USA

Post by Channel Hopper » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:41 am

Congratulations on getting her roadworthy, or at least running on the road.

What type is she ?

AHAMAYfrank
AntiSpam: No

Re: Late to the Game in Georgia USA

Post by AHAMAYfrank » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Channel Hopper wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:41 am
Congratulations on getting her roadworthy, or at least running on the road.

What type is she ?
Thanks for the reply Channel Hopper. There is not a lot of activity here.

I do not have a photo hosting site since Photobucket so I am not capable of sharing a photo. The ID information says NS400RF. The bodywork has been repainted (poorly I might ad) so if NS400RF designates the Rothmans color, it has been repainted toward stock.

These bikes don't come up for sale very often, so when I could drive and look, I did. I probably paid too much, but that's okay, it appears to have good bones and a bunch of spares.

I plan on changing stuff around a bit so having the additional parts will be nice. After I ride it some I want to do some upgrades. I have spare cylinders and a crank, so I want to send them off for some reconditioning. I see that pipes are available so I may just start there. My bike has had the pipes modified or at least the lower silencers reskinned, so it has somewhat of an odd sound. Don't drop one of those babys on your foot unless you are wearing steel toes, they sure are heavy.

I had some broken bolts, and the front fuel tank mount was stripped. The filler neck on the tank was dented up somehow, so the cap fit poorly. The injector pump was in box and the magnet in the level gauge was weak, The ATAC system was disconnected and missing some parts. The heat shielding near the upper exhaust was pretty scuffed up. The valve stem in the front rim was cracked and leaking air. I fixed all of the above stuff, cleaned the carbs, replaced the intake boots with spares that had the injection hose connections, changed the tranny oil after looking under the shift cover for debris (the cover had been fouled by the chain), modified the airbox, and I have about 1/2 tank of premix to burn up before I fill up with straight gas. The pump is pumping well with no air in the lines.

I haven't really ridden it modified except for on my driveway. Hope it warms up a bit later today. With the stock airbox it would not pull cleanly above 7k. I tried the choke and then popped off the airbox cover. With no cover, on my driveway it rips. I ended up cutting out the rear of the cover completely (where the snorkels were) for my version. The added open area is very similar to to the 10 square inches added by the holes drilled in the cover I found elsewhere on this site.

Other than that, the bike is just how I bought it lol. :D

Frank S.