Rolling Out The NS

If your problem does not fall into the above catagories, hopefully you will find some answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
silverstrom
AntiSpam: No

Rolling Out The NS

Post by silverstrom »

Finally rolled this out of the shop a few days ago. It turned out better than expected. Now on to the next project....

The Gang

Video Link http://s677.photobucket.com/albums/vv14 ... 0_0235.mp4
Video Link http://s677.photobucket.com/albums/vv14 ... 0_0238.mp4
1986 Honda NS400R HRC #317
1989 RZ350 #70
1987 TZR250 #133
1988 RGV250 VJ21
1990 RZ350 N2 Project Bike
2007 DL650 VStrom #1505

Channel Hopper

Re: Rolling Out The NS

Post by Channel Hopper »

Booking a plane as I post this

That is in lovely condition.

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

silverstrom wrote:Finally rolled this out of the shop a few days ago. It turned out better than expected. Now on to the next project....

That picture illustrates the issue you have with NOS bodyparts for the HRC NS - that they don't match. The white stripe on the tank is way out of line with the sidepanel which makes the bike look like an accident repair. Every NOS tank I've ever seen has the same problem. Replacement lower cowls tend to be crap too being painted skew and yellow on the inside. Don't know of the Rothmans suffers the issues - Mark might be able to comment.

The bike should look like

silverstrom

Post by silverstrom »

The only thing not original to that bike is the NOS tank. I have 3 tanks and will have a look to see how the alignmnet is with the others. Honestly, I hadn't really notice it. The other side seems a little better.

EDIT...just found a photo with the original tank and the alignment looks perfect. Bloody hell....maybe I'll sell the NOS tank and go back to the original.

1989 RZ350 #70
1987 TZR250 #133
1988 RGV250 VJ21
2007 DL650 VStrom #1505

Mark

Post by Mark »

Hmmm. Stripe alignment was the first thing I spotted when you posted the pictures, stands out a mile... Sorry! :oops:

You say original to the bike, but out of interest, are any of the panels painted?

The Rothmans bikes don't tend to suffer the same mis-allignment of stripes, colour variations etc, but the quality of of the paint and laquer does vary massively, and so does the masking line for the Rothmans Stripes. The side panels were painted Blue, then the stripes were applied, and used as the masking line for the White. Every original side panel I've seen has a paint build up where the White meets the Rothmans stripe. If there isn't a paint build up, it isn't original.

Makes you wonder whether they painted all the body panels, tanks etc, then spent days or maybe months looking for the best matched panels to put on new bikes....

Taking all that in to consideration, credit where it's due, it's still a lovely bike. The frame is immaculate and the exhausts look stunning. How did you achieve that kind of finish?

Alastair's HRC bike looks very pretty, and is pretty much immaculate (even though it's got enough miles on it to have lapped the planet more than once...), but I'm pretty sure he has some sort of frame alignment problem, as the last time I saw it, it was going up The Mountain sideways :lol: :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

silverstrom

Post by silverstrom »

The bodywork is all original Mark. With the original tank everything lines up perfectly. With the NOS tank, it's off. Whoever applied the decals to the NOS tank before clear coating was off just a bit. I bet that if I try my 3rd tank it's off a bit too. Not a big deal, but something I'll take care of.

I spent a long time cleaning and polishing. Months actually. About 60 hours just on the wheels. I perfected my slow but effective technique restoring RZ350s (FII). I've found the easiest way to restore the plastics is to first give it all a good wash, then go at it with a Mr. Clean cleaning sponges. Not sure if you have something similar in your part of the world. Bloody amazing things. They remove all the scufs and hard to remove crud. Then I hit the plastic with Plasic Headlight Lens Restorer. A very effecive and very mild abbrasive. This is a very slow process with lots and lots of rubbing and cleaning. Finally I polish with Plexus Plastic Polish. Layer upon layer. The frame/chassis took forever. Cans and cans of cleaner and polish along with about 20 tooth brushes, 2 dozen cans of brake/parts cleaner and a few cans of contact cleaner. I went through about a dozen small brass brushes along with 4 stainless steel brushes used in my dremmel tool. If done carefully there is no scratching and the results are amazing. I spent 3 months just cleaning and polishing. Also painted the pipes, mirrors, etc.. David Silver Spares along with CMS have been busy since I got the bike 6 months ago. Replaced one can (NOS) along with all the rubber, fasteners, etc..

The bike has 25,000 Km (15,600 miles) and the engine was done (top end and crank) 2000 km ago. This bike won't need anything for a very long time.

I have a complete spare set of HRC bodywork (minus the right rear panel...still looking) that I am seriously considering doing in Rothman's livery. I really like the white...a lot more than the HRC actually, but we didn't the white here. About 300 bikes sold here so they are a rare sight. I've never seen another on the road.

The new project starts next week. Either RGV/TZR/RZ350 N2. Still haven't decided which to roll into the shop next.
1989 RZ350 #70
1987 TZR250 #133
1988 RGV250 VJ21
2007 DL650 VStrom #1505

silverstrom

Post by silverstrom »

I checked my three tanks yesterday. Only the NOS tank has the stripe misalignment. It's off by 3/4 of an inch. Kind of odd, but it's not every day you find an NOS tank still in its original box from Honda. I may leave it for this year since there are only a few weeks of riding left here. Hell, I may leave it forever. Anyway, enough on that, now I just need to decde which of the other tanks will be sold. Likley going to do the ebay thing since I can't find anyone who seems to want one. Price is still an issue but I now have a good idea since talking to Ian.
1989 RZ350 #70
1987 TZR250 #133
1988 RGV250 VJ21
2007 DL650 VStrom #1505

fredie

Post by fredie »

very nice bike , well done . 8)
where is the big white out of snow ?? :lol:
comming soon i guess
how long is the riding season there
east coast canada

silverstrom

Post by silverstrom »

fredie wrote:very nice bike , well done . 8)
where is the big white out of snow ?? :lol:
comming soon i guess
how long is the riding season there
east coast canada

Hey Fredie

Riding season here starts as soon as the snow is gone and the salt and sand are washed off the roads by the rain. That is usually late April here and it ends when the weather just gets too cold to make it safe or enjoyable. The bridges tend to start icing up first and that spells trouble. It was 46 F yesterday and today is more of the same. Supposed to hit near 70 by the weekend so still some good riding left, but at this time of year I tend to spend more time on my VStrom than on my smokers. It's more forgiving and less of a handful when leaves cover the roads.

If we get 6 months of riding here it's been an outstanding year. Frequently it's much less. In April we can still have 2 feet of snow on the ground and snow in October is common. I've lived in parts of Canada where the riding season was 12 months and others where it was 3.
1989 RZ350 #70
1987 TZR250 #133
1988 RGV250 VJ21
2007 DL650 VStrom #1505

fredie

Post by fredie »

12 months riding ? sounds like aussie :P
where is the 12 months riding in canada
i had a few bikes like vstrom .honda nx650 suited down here :lol:

silverstrom

Post by silverstrom »

fredie wrote:12 months riding ? sounds like aussie :P
where is the 12 months riding in canada
i had a few bikes like vstrom .honda nx650 suited down here :lol:
British Columbia. When I lived on Vancouver Island (Victoria) it only snowed once in three years.

The older I get, the more of a fair weather rider I become.... :mrgreen:
1989 RZ350 #70
1987 TZR250 #133
1988 RGV250 VJ21
2007 DL650 VStrom #1505

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Alastair wrote: That picture illustrates the issue you have with NOS bodyparts for the HRC NS - that they don't match. The white stripe on the tank is way out of line with the sidepanel which makes the bike look like an accident repair. Every NOS tank I've ever seen has the same problem. Replacement lower cowls tend to be crap too being painted skew and yellow on the inside.
I'd still dig a pit under the garage door, disconnect the speedo, take her out for a spin and return the bike whilst silverstrom was still asleep. Hell, I'd even go take her for a jet wash afterwards and drop some dollars through the letterbox for the oil/fuel.

I always thought NOS meant 'new old stock', ie. stuff from the same prduction line as bikes that were put together in the factory. Why is there a difference in the decal position ?

Is it a country / region or year difference, or simply batches of tank decals were matched to those of side panels by individuals working on one production ?

fredie

Post by fredie »

all my bikes now are all road . track bikes
no off road bikes at all :cry:
gone soft myself :roll: :oops:
mind you . i nearly killed myself on the nx650 :shock: :lol:

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Channel Hopper wrote:
I always thought NOS meant 'new old stock', ie. stuff from the same prduction line as bikes that were put together in the factory. Why is there a difference in the decal position ?

Is it a country / region or year difference, or simply batches of tank decals were matched to those of side panels by individuals working on one production ?
Don't know in truth, but it is a common issue even on current bikes that replacement panels don't match up to the originals. My take on it is that the stuff used in production is made to exacting tolerances and rigorously checked so the bikes go together really easily. Once production finishes, they box up what's left over and get sufficient parts made up afterwards to meet their expected parts demand. The employees know that they won't be checked nearly as well, so they throw them together.

In 1989 I had the misfortune to throw an NS up the road at 10mph or so. It needed a new upper cowl, right hand side lower, fairing bracket and right hand side rear cowl. Of the various bits:

The upper cowl was perfect - better than the original in fact,
The main fairing bracket was shite - it didn't line up at all. The old bent one was better,
The right hand lower cowl was utter shite - yellow on the inside, skew decal and the yellow on the outside was matt. This was so bad we went through 3 new panels - all identical to try and sort it. Honda Japan offered to get them repainted locally.
The right hand rear cowl looked good but alos suffered from slight misalignment of the stripe.

So after that experience I vowed never to chuck an NS400 away again!

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Mark wrote:Alastair's HRC bike looks very pretty, and is pretty much immaculate (even though it's got enough miles on it to have lapped the planet more than once...), but I'm pretty sure he has some sort of frame alignment problem, as the last time I saw it, it was going up The Mountain sideways :lol: :wink:
You need to use the bloody thing Mark. There's no point leaving it to fade away in the garage. Mine shows they can be used extensively - even on trackdays - with no ill effects. The sideways bit was showing you soft lads how to ride with balls :D
NS400 Cadwell.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.