DVLA tactics on postal SORN

If your problem does not fall into the above catagories, hopefully you will find some answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
Channel Hopper

DVLA tactics on postal SORN

Post by Channel Hopper »

and the judge , jury and executioner

Just the first 12 minutes, no need to waste more time on this completely ridiculous piece of legislation (after all it was brought in/passed by the last shower in power under the guise of crime reduction :roll: )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 9_09_2011/

One day left to view

Unfortunately only UK viewers can receive this, so others can get the same here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTf3tYzuYgA

Utter scum

silverstrom
AntiSpam: No

Re: DVLA tactics on postal SORN

Post by silverstrom »

Bloody hell...what a scam. Seems the only purpose is to steal money from honest people.

Here I could send the form registered mail and they'd have to sign to receive it. Hard to say you didn't get it when I have a copy of your sgnature saying you did. I imagine they'd still nail you for 80 pounds by just refusing to sign for it when delivered.

Utter scum is right...
1986 Honda NS400R HRC #317
1989 RZ350 #70
1987 TZR250 #133
1988 RGV250 VJ21
1990 RZ350 N2 Project Bike
2007 DL650 VStrom #1505

fredie

Post by fredie »

looks crazy
just like our RTA down here :x

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

The DVLA are a well known bunch of cunts. Calling them scum is too good for them.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Calm down, calm down, it's only a commercial....

I agree, the DVLA is for the most part full of bureaucratic tossers..

However, on this point, I think they're right.... Who in their right mind trusts the post office these days? All of the people shown in the film were stupid enough to post their SORN declaration. We're all "talking" via an internet forum. If you do it on line, you get an instant confirmation. How simple can they make it???

Be honest, how many times have you FAILED to receive a notification that your tax or sorn is about to expire? I get at around eight a year, and the DVLA have never missed one yet...

I also agree that the sorn system has its uses. No, I'll go further. ANPR is a good idea. In an instant, the tossers without insurance can be identified and dealt with. Provided they don't have false plates of course, but even that has limited effectiveness.

ANPR has also been proved to have other significant advantages.

If you recall a couple of yars ago, a couple of dark skinned chaps were followed the length of the country using ANPR without them knowing, and they were arrested when it was safe to do so. I think a couple of their mates got singed hair when they crashed into glasgow airport...

Technology has its uses. One of them is registering your bike SORN....

As for Anne Robinson at the end, laughable... :roll:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Hmmm.

SORN is one of those pieces of legislation that really isn't necessary. If you don't intend to use the vehicle you don't tax it. It can be picked up by ANPR as untaxed and dealt with accordingly. There are laws in place to deal with this without SORN in the same way there are laws to deal with uninsured vehicles without continuous insurance.....

I wouldn't judge someone as to the method they use to declare SORN, it is their entitlement to use the postal service. The vehicle owners have fulfilled their part of the bargain the moment they post the item. Don't forget a magistrate ruled against the DVLA too.

Given the well publicised propensity for the DVLA to make all manner of cock ups including losing people's driving licence entitlements, I'm extremely nervous about anything that gives these tossers more power.

luggy

Post by luggy »

well if your going to run the country down , get the profis to do it, and they do have a lot of experience :mrgreen:
gravity is an extreme painful thing !

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Mark wrote:Technology has its uses. One of them is registering your bike SORN....
Which, as Alastair has confirmed is more or less fully superceded by ANPR (and the wealth of other security cameras above the roads/carparks/garages and ferry terminals up and down the country).

SORN is little more than a revenue generating system, that pays out whenever the vehicle owner fails to keep up with a software programme.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Channel Hopper wrote:SORN is little more than a revenue generating system, that pays out whenever the vehicle owner fails to keep up with a software programme.
I'm not disputing whether or not it’s an exercise in making money, or whether it’s a piece of legislation which is required or not.

Either way, the legislation is in place, and I don't see it being abolished any time soon.

Keeping to the original point of the thread (as I viewed it), minimise the risk of getting caught out by declaring SORN on line rather than leave it to the post office like the folks in the film clip... That’s my point.

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

True, but this is deeply flawed legislation, brought in under the guise of crime reduction.

For the legitimate owners of vehicles, using a legitimate method of returning/verifying documentation, it is nothing but a timewasting exercise with a financial sting in the tail.

There are also flaws in the online registration system which were not covered in the programme, but you would have to have fallen foul of them to realise just how bad the SORN legislation is, and how the DVLA prefers to ride roughshod over any criticism that comes their way.

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

People now getting fined for ....well....an extension to the idea that SORN might have been introduced to reduce crime.
Can't see what this person has done to deserve this. Can anyone here help ?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/fo ... ost3586409

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

luggy wrote:well if your going to run the country down , get the profis to do it, and they do have a lot of experience :mrgreen:
Nah. the DVLA are Welsh cunts, nothing to do with the English thank God

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Mark wrote:
Channel Hopper wrote:SORN is little more than a revenue generating system, that pays out whenever the vehicle owner fails to keep up with a software programme.
I'm not disputing whether or not it’s an exercise in making money, or whether it’s a piece of legislation which is required or not.

Either way, the legislation is in place, and I don't see it being abolished any time soon.

Keeping to the original point of the thread (as I viewed it), minimise the risk of getting caught out by declaring SORN on line rather than leave it to the post office like the folks in the film clip... That’s my point.
I'd agree with minimising the risk by going online but it is scary how piss poor legialation like this with significant consequences gets passed. for years we were told speed cameras were all about road safety not money. I never believed it nor did many others. Funny how they have started to be turned off once the financial incentive has been taken away....

andy pandy

Post by andy pandy »

I dont trust internet sorn after declaring sorn on two bikes by computor i thought i was well safe,only to have summons for failing to declare.
Isent copy of email and there response but no good you need to have that letter telling you it has been logged,price 80 quid for no letter so now i do all mine at post office get stamp and reciept.
IF IT AINT BROKE MODIFY IT

Mark

Post by Mark »

When you sorn on line, you're told whether it has been succesful, and given a reference number as comfirmation.

That's as good as the letter. They couldn't argue against that in court.

You can also check on line to see what the "status" of your vehicle is.

https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPo ... home/intro