Replica bodywork from Japan - any good?

Needs no description. Posting restricted to registered users
itsmokes
AntiSpam: No

Re: Replica bodywork from Japan - any good?

Post by itsmokes » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:59 am

Nice site you have here on the NS400R and tons of info.

Does any one know what company in Japan is making these Bodywork panels?

I visited the http://alastair.ns400r.co.uk/Articles.htm with a few magazine reviews on the NS400R and some of the pages are corrupted with strange colors and hard to read words. Can these be re-uploaded to fix the bad pages? Some pretty cool reviews on this bike.

http://www.ns400r.de/specs/NS400Specs.htm
Also the canadian brochure here is reduced so small in file size the colors are strange on a few pages (page with engine & page with frame). Anyone know where to find a cleaner copy?

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi Itsmokes, welcome to the forum. :)

I don't know who is making the body kits, but they can be sourced easily on ebay. Shipping costs to the UK are the killer. We're all waiting to see how Messer gets on with his kit, so keep checking back..

Alastair from this forum originally hosted the first site you mentioned, perhaps send him a PM if you want more information.

The Canadian site - I.T. isn't really my thing really I'm afraid. Perhaps post a separate thread in the "Other" section and someone may see it who can help. Also, perhaps tell us if you have a bike or looking for one and where you're based. It's always interesting to see where the folks who turn up on here are from.

Apart from Hopper, he's from everywhere. A bit like the matrix :wink:

Regards

Mark
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

itsmokes

Post by itsmokes » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi,

I'm from Canada and I'm looking around for a NS400R but they don't show up very often and when they do, the seem to command high prices. I've always
wanted one and think they over better all were than the other GP Replicas. the prices are slowly creeping up in value and soon will be only in the range
for large collectors.

I'd like to find one locally in Toronto, Ontario but would consider other places especially since I may be moving because of my job.

I've seen two recently and they where $6500 for one and $9000 for the other one both in excellent condition. I did see one
for $4500 but was it crashed and needed a new fairing (original one destroyed). Less and less seem to be for sale because of collectors
buying them up and bikes being wrecked or crashed (mainly in the past 80's/90's). Most motorcycle museums either want one or have one.

I'm guessing these are normal prices for one because I've seen some for sale in the UK for between 3,000 and 4,000 pounds which is around $6000
to $7000 Canadian. I'm talking about ones in really good shape.

I was looking at the after market body panels because if I get one, I may want to change out the original ones to save them but only if the aftermarket ones
look good and fit well. I would be curious to how well the colors match the original bodywork.

Does any one know how many NS400R's were sold in Canada? I heard it was between 200 & 300 units. How many sold in the UK (both imported and originally marketed for)? I also heard that they made less NS400R's in total units than the RZ/RZV/RD500s and RG400/500's.

Thanks.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:50 am

Buying a set of replica bodywork to preserve your original isn't a bad idea. The problem in the UK is the cost of shipping the body kit. It's around the same price as the body kit its self.

Regarding NS400 prices, you do see some reasonable bikes in the UK at £5k-£6k, but they don't appear to sell quickly. They are generally traders who have imported them from Japan. A mint low mileage bike would be worth it. But not the mediocre stuff which makes up the majority of ebay sales

There are a couple of tatty examples on ebay, which in my opinion are over priced. One has been on at £3k for months, was dropped to £2k and still didn't sell. It was re-listed on an auction and "Sold" for around £1600, before appearing on a Buy it now for £3k again. Laughable!!

But really, a conversation about prices should be in a separate thread, so I'll stop now.

From what I have seen and heard, the Chinese body kits are of a good quality for the price. We're just waiting for Messer to get his finger out and post up some pictures :D

May be a while, as I believe they are currently on the slow boat from China - literally :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

messer

Post by messer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:24 pm

My kit won't be here till October as it's on a boat with potentially my other hrc ns400 :) my rothmans bike actually might end up for sale if I take on the hrc as I don't have space for both bikes

Long story but ill keep updated either way :)

messer

Post by messer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Finally I have the bodywork and I must say I'm impressed..

I didn't go for the hrc bike as I have enough bikes and it's a bit too much for me but I've never seen a cleaner ns. It needs registering and a top fairing but it is very very clean if anyone is interested.

Will be a while before I fit this bodywork as the engine is out currently awaiting me getting the time to rebuild it.

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:32 pm

pictures of both panels amd packaging would be good.