Restoring my old Shepherd 500

All your power station questions answered. Posting restricted to registered users.
terry-shep

NS rebuild

Post by terry-shep » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:47 pm

Great to hear the old NS500 will live again, Stealth. Just to fill in the odd hole, it went through the trap, as you say, at 154.6mph, a fraction faster than the fastest TZ350 timed that year and averaged 107mph for the race. What is really startling is that it was a 387 in the race, Tony had seized it in practice due to getting the O rings which seal the head on the 500 crossed up and reverted to the standard barrels, which I had already tuned, for the race. I'm sure this was earlier than 87, I think about 84 - memory plays strange tricks! I subsequently restored the O rings and it was used in the F750 series as a 500 at Jerez and Vila Real, where it finished top 15 when there were 15 'works' or semi-works 750s around.

Its great strength, apart from good handling, was the way it put the power down - probably the first big-bang motor, with its strange firing order. It's one of those cult bikes, people who ride them love them and I am still doing pipes and 500 conversions for them, nearly 20 years on. It's good to know the very first one I did is going to be around!

Maybe I'll tell you why this 500 version happened one of these days!

TerryShep
Terry - Shepherd

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:33 am

Hi Terry, Many thanks for the info, very timely as I actually tried to ring you last week to pick your brains while I was producing a small article on the history of the bike to affix to it when it goes on display in the corner of my room, you've filled in the gaps nicely for me.

Absolutely right about the 'Big Bang' theory, I found that I could slide this bike almost at will, also it handled like a 250 and I was able to stuff it up the inside of the 750s on the brakes and pinch the tight lines, it was brilliant out of bottom gear corners as well, the bottom end torque was almost like a trials bike.

I should be posting a picture of the finished bike in about a months time, heading off now to check out proceedings at the Manx Grand Prix.

Cheers
Stealth
Dont buy a dwarf with learning difficulties...........it aint big and it aint clever!!!

nsnutter

tony head

Post by nsnutter » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:16 am

hi guys
just reading with interest about the history of your bike and its rider. you may be interested to know that tony head is still going strong! he is a good mate of mine and still has a road going (mint) ns400 which is a really good example of the breed (unlike mine!). dont think he races any more though, well not on the track anyway!
cheers mike

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:42 am

Just a quick update, the tank and seat are done and on the bike, I sprayed them myself using aerosols mixed for me by a local paint company and I'm really pleased with the results, its a pearlescent silver called Vauxhall Yukon Silver, I wasnt confident that I could get a decent finish with an aerosol, and I'd never attempted to spray pearlescent paint before, but having had a quote of £350-400 from a local spray shop to do the work I thought I'd give it a go and its been really easy to do.

The fairing should be sprayed next week then the whole lot will be going for signwriting back to the guy who originally did it for me back in the 80s, I'm having tank badges made up at the moment by another local guy who is also going to re-create the 'Shell Oils' and 'NGK' stickers for the fairing while he's at it.

I must admit that when I walk into the lounge in the morning and see it sitting there it looks pretty crazy!! my hallway in quite narrow and I live in a first floor apartment so it looks a bit like a ship in a bottle, visitors keep saying 'how the hell did you get that in here?' I then have to explain that it was actually built in situ, the girlfriend thinks i'm mad and refuses to have anything to do with it, but I've assured her that when its finished and placed under the shelf in the corner she'll hardly know its there :)

Keep you posted

Stealth
Dont buy a dwarf with learning difficulties...........it aint big and it aint clever!!!

triple fun

Post by triple fun » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:16 pm

give us a shout when it gets a bit nearer being done and we'll get it in the mag if you want

looks cool to me

CP

writebike@aol.com

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:19 am

Latest news, the fairing is having a 'fitting' tonight before spraying and the tank logo's are now finished and have been applied, the guy who printed them also managed to produce exact replica's of the 1980's 'Shell Oils' and 'NGK' stickers for the fairing which look great too.

Some of the these last little bits are proving to be the fiddliest and most time consuming of all but its nearly there now, once the fairing is sprayed the bodywork will be going to the signwriter and then..............it'll actually be finished!!!!

Watch this space.

Stealth

gumball

Post by gumball » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:17 pm

I'm looking for an emoticon of clapping, can't find one. Anyway clap clap clap. This is very exciting. Hmmmmm :roll:
HIGH RPM IS WHERE IT IS!
Tread With Caution

Stealth

Finished

Post by Stealth » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:43 am

Finished the bike late last week, have sent a picture to Ian which should hopefully appear with this post, as for the posting above this one?? dont really understand the meaning or reason behind it?? or what the point was??I posted my accounts of the rebuild in response to the genuine interest shown by the users of this forum, maybe I unwittingly took some focus away from the site's main attention seeker??

Anyway thanks for the enthusiasm, interest and advice guys, you've helped give me the inspiration to finally get this job finished, when I get chance I'll take a couple of good quality photo's with a real camera instead of my cell phone and send them accross to Ian.

Ciao
Stealth

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:36 pm

Very nicely done, does your wife hava a sister ?

Stroker

Post by Stroker » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:45 pm

Nice one. I hope we'll see it on a few parades. Will you be showing at Beauleiu next year? There's been a very nice NS500 there for the past couple of years.

gumball

Post by gumball » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:57 am

Congatulations on a job well done Stealth. That is one lucky bike with a caring owner and waiting to hit the streets ei? :wink:
HIGH RPM IS WHERE IT IS!
Tread With Caution

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:16 pm

Wouldnt mind taking it to Goodwood next year and also the Scarborough Gold Cup classic parade if they have one (I'm curious to see if I've still actually got the balls to take the big jump in 6th gear on Scarborough's bottom straight :shock: ) other than that i'm going to get some 'Honda' coasters made and use it as a trendy coffee table in the lounge.............you certainly wont find one like that in Ikea

:lol:

Stealth

bloodnut

Post by bloodnut » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:32 pm

Well done mate - great job, i wish i could get back some of my old race bikes.

Cheers
Red
if all else fails - gas it

Mr Tibbs

Post by Mr Tibbs » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:16 pm

Hi fellow stroker victims :D

Found this forum by accident (at present I run a '96 Aprilia RS250) but thought I'd register to give this thread (and the forum in general) the thumbs up - Plenty of interesting stuff going on here.

Hope I'm allowed in this exclusive club :?:

Regards,

Mr Tibbs

Image[/img]

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:58 pm

Welcome aboard

Wheres the third pipe, on the other side ? :D