Single sided swingarm

Upgrading or servicing, find your answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
Post Reply
Tucker
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Canada

Single sided swingarm

Post by Tucker »

Seems that most folks here are from across the pond so I wasn't sure if you guys had these over there.http://images.google.ca/images?q=honda% ... =en&tab=wi

Now if you do.... I was wondering if anyone has looked into or tried converting the single sided swingarm to the NS400?

Mark
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Up Norf

Re: Single sided swingarm

Post by Mark »

Over here it was known as the "Bros", and was a Grey import.

Rather unfortunate as we also had tacky boy band by the same name...

We did have the NTV600, which looked identical. No idea if it used the same cycle parts though.

I have no experience with single sided conversions, but it appears most people go for the NC30 swingarm.

Have you tried fitting a single sided arm?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

fredie
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: sydney australia

Re: Single sided swingarm

Post by fredie »

we have them down here. bro's aswell :D

Tucker
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Single sided swingarm

Post by Tucker »

As far as I know they never sold the NC 30 in North America. never heard of the ntv600 either.

Mark
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Up Norf

Re: Single sided swingarm

Post by Mark »

Tucker wrote:As far as I know they never sold the NC 30 in North America
That's a shame, it's a great little bike.

Tucker wrote:never heard of the ntv600 either.
You're not missing much....
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

Channel Hopper
Posts: 1329
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:26 pm

Re: Single sided swingarm

Post by Channel Hopper »

Mark wrote:
Tucker wrote:never heard of the ntv600 either.
You're not missing much....
Not true, the 600 and 650 have stonking engines, (two plugs per head), which can go twice round the clock with nothing more than an oil change or three, return some 70mpg and a bloody good chassis. Even the shaft drive has almost zero handling defects (a slight rise in the seat under acceleration) and is virtually maintenace free.

A very easy bike to do some quite fun long distance on, the dispatchers tool of choice up to a couple of years ago..

Mark
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Up Norf

Re: Single sided swingarm

Post by Mark »

Channel Hopper wrote:
Mark wrote:
Tucker wrote:never heard of the ntv600 either.
You're not missing much....
Not true, the 600 and 650 have stonking engines, (two plugs per head), which can go twice round the clock with nothing more than an oil change or three, return some 70mpg and a bloody good chassis. Even the shaft drive has almost zero handling defects (a slight rise in the seat under acceleration) and is virtually maintenace free.

A very easy bike to do some quite fun long distance on, the dispatchers tool of choice up to a couple of years ago..
I stand corrected.... :oops:

My little VT could have done with twin plug heads, as it seemed to get through plugs with alarming regularity :? :(

Almost as often as camchains in fact..... :lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

Alastair
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat May 25, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Glossop U.K.
Contact:

Re: Single sided swingarm

Post by Alastair »

Mark wrote:I stand corrected.... :oops:
Or maybe not. The NT was pedestrian, a workhorse rather than something to get excited about - a bit like the CX500. Why they put a single sided swinger on was beyond comprehension as it added weight and cost. It later mutated into the Deauville, better known as the Dullsville, a sort of Homer Simpson replica if ever there was one

Channel Hopper
Posts: 1329
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:26 pm

Re: Single sided swingarm

Post by Channel Hopper »

Alastair wrote:The NT was pedestrian, a workhorse rather than something to get excited about - a bit like the CX500. Why they put a single sided swinger on was beyond comprehension as it added weight and cost. It later mutated into the Deauville, better known as the Dullsville, a sort of Homer Simpson replica if ever there was one
Agreed about the Deauville, which was an exercise in fogey convenience/all in one.

The NTV however is nothing like the CX500 (shudders after remembering my only ride on one). The 57hp may not wake you up, but the liberal torque curve and a very narrow frontal area means she is quicker off the mark than most. Last year I did the Chimay run at a constant 85-90mph on her, keeping up with larger machinery. The 5 speed gearbox is unfortunately a poor design (mine jumps out of first gear) but for reliability, she hasn't put a foot wrong, and returns 60-65 mpg almost all the time.

Alastair
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat May 25, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Glossop U.K.
Contact:

Re: Single sided swingarm

Post by Alastair »

Mark wrote:My little VT could have done with twin plug heads, as it seemed to get through plugs with alarming regularity :? :(

Almost as often as camchains in fact..... :lol:
Does VT stand for Very Toublesome?

Mark
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Up Norf

Re: Single sided swingarm

Post by Mark »

Alastair wrote:
Mark wrote:My little VT could have done with twin plug heads, as it seemed to get through plugs with alarming regularity :? :(

Almost as often as camchains in fact..... :lol:
Does VT stand for Very Toublesome?
I always thought it stood for Veritable Ticking bomb :( :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

Post Reply