Fitting 1991-1994 CBR600 Wheels?

Upgrading or servicing, find your answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
Rembrant
AntiSpam: No

Fitting 1991-1994 CBR600 Wheels?

Post by Rembrant »

I folks,

I've been reading and searching for an hour and it appears that the early 1987-1990 CBR600 17" wheels are the easiest to swap on to the NS400r.

That is sorted out, but what about the 1991-1994 CBR600 wheels? Obviously they are 17" wheels, but how wide are they?

How difficult is it to make them fit? I am ok with machining...I'd just like to know what the major obstacles are. Chain alignment I assume is the big one.

Can anybody educate me?

Thanks in advance.
Rem :mrgreen:
~Your motorcycle hates it's life as a show bike~

Zestmusic

Re: Fitting 1991-1994 CBR600 Wheels?

Post by Zestmusic »

The thing with the early cbr wheels is you can use the original ns discs and calipers, Its just the rear is really a little skinny for a 140 but people say they still work great.

luggy

Post by luggy »

the front is a drop in and the back needs a little work on it , on older models it becomes more work
gravity is an extreme painful thing !

messer

Post by messer »

What work is involved in getting these to fit? I prefer the look of these over the early 3 spoke CBR wheels..

messer

Post by messer »

Ive done the front. Needed the disc mounting surfaces refacing to the same width as the standard comstar and the mounting bolt holes re drilling (for the countersinking).Use the NS400 spindle and discs. The bearings to be fitted to the CBR wheel are NS400 bearings and rhs seal. A spacer needs making up for between the bearings which is the same ID as the NS spindle, same OD as the inner bearing race and same length as the one you removed from the CBR wheel. Then I shaved 5mm off the inside shoulder of the spindle ( i luckily found a solid shouldered spindle which was ideal for this job, as the standard one is hollow shouldered so would actually be weakened if you shaved this). Then you need to use the NS400 speedo drive washer with the tabs bent flat to fit in to the CBR wheel, an oil/dust seal for that side which has the same ID as the NS one and the same OD as the CBR one (think its 40ID 55 OD from memory, bought it from simply bearings) and then a spacer needs making 7mm shorter than the original NS one for the RHS.

Then its dropped in and looks good IMO.

So, definitelly not a 'slot in' :-)