Brake Caliper Rebuild

Upgrading or servicing, find your answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
messer
AntiSpam: No

Brake Caliper Rebuild

Post by messer »

Just wondering what bikes share the same brake calipers as the NS400? Mine all need a rebuild as the pistons are rusty and pitted, just weighing up whether to try find some good used ones, or to buy new pistons and seals and rebuild them. Is the VF500 brake caliper the same?

Mark

Re: Brake Caliper Rebuild

Post by Mark »

The VF500 caliper looks the same and uses the same TRAC antidive. I can't say whether the calipers are the same, but the pistons and seals are.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

messer

Post by messer »

Thanks Mark. Should I be looking for any particular year when looking for the pistons and seals?

Thanks
Tony

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Go to wemoto.com. They stock stainless caliper pistons at sensible money. David Silver sell genuine OEM if you want genuine. Give them a call if OEM is what you want.

Mark

Post by Mark »

messer wrote:Thanks Mark. Should I be looking for any particular year when looking for the pistons and seals?
No, they're all the same. As Alastair says, Silvers will have them but you could try Wemoto.

messer

Post by messer »

Yeh cheers I saw them as I'm about to order some wemoto braided brake hoses.

Though I found the pistons and seals substantially less here http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/Honda/NS_ ... 5_-_88/all

Ever heard of them?

Mark

Post by Mark »

Good find. Nope, never heard of them.

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

messer wrote:Yeh cheers I saw them as I'm about to order some wemoto braided brake hoses.

Though I found the pistons and seals substantially less here http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/Honda/NS_ ... 5_-_88/all

Ever heard of them?
Substantially less? A few quid less but the Bitzforbikes ones don't claim to be stainless. Given the choice, I'd spend a bit more on stainless from Wemoto.

messer

Post by messer »

About 12 quid per caliper ish so 36 quid saving for the job.. That's quite a saving really.. its easy to just buy the best of everything but when restoring something the costs can quickly run away with you if your not careful. I don't know what my plans are for the ns once it's done I might not even like it so I'm not going for best of everything like my rd or cortina received. .