"Loose" needle in the carb

Bike running like a dog? This section might well answer your questions. Posting restricted to registered users.
Torp
AntiSpam: No

"Loose" needle in the carb

Post by Torp » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi
Just removed my carbs for a thorough cleanup. It appears that, after removing the main jets and the long "needle holders" below, the needle on one of the carbs are really loose sideways (leaning against the edges of the hole). The other two seems stuck fairly dead center in the "needle holder". No movement felt vertical on any of the needles. Is this anything requiring furter dismantling?? I see a few warnings on the forum on not going too far with the dismantling.......

fredie

Re: "Loose" needle in the carb

Post by fredie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:20 am

welcome our ns400r buddie. we will help you as much as we can . please posts pics :wink:

Torp

Post by Torp » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:58 am

Hi Fredie

This is what I´m talking about. Probably no biggie, but since I´m new to the NSR, I thought I might as well check with you guys. As you can see one of the carb-needles is centered (firmly, no side ways movement possible in the "needle holder") while the other one is totally free and moves around without any resistance. Seems kind of strange, but then again: I´ve never seen the "fastening mechanism" for the needle inside the throttle valve. Is this something I need to open up the carb completely to check out, or can I just put everything back together again after cleaning???
As I wrote earlier; no vertical free play on the "loose" needle.

By the way: This Forum is a fantastic place to start for us "newbees". A lot of REALLY useful info gathered over a long periode of time, backed up by a lot of friendly people with experience. Can´t beat that!!
IMG_0434.jpg
IMG_0433.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Luciano

Post by Luciano » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:52 am

Hi!
I do not have a clue, but maybe this helps...

look at the illustration.
http://alastair.ns400r.co.uk/E14.htm
http://alastair.ns400r.co.uk/E14-2.htm

You have removed item 44 (mainjet) and item 28 (holder needle jet).
And there are a item 3 (needle set jet) in the illustration.

Can you locate all 3 of item 3? I do not know maybe they are attached on item 28...
Best regards Luciano.
Torque over the whole register.

Torp

Post by Torp » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi

All I've done is removing #44 (main jet) and #28 (holder needle jet) to have everything cleaned properly. A lot of other stuff removed also (idle valve etc etc), but only #44 and #28 from this particular "hole". Looking down the hole in all carburators, it all look the same to me.
#3 (needle set jet) looks like it's what you actually get if you order a new needle........???

Torp

Post by Torp » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:54 am

Luciano, you´re absolutely right. The third part of #3 (needle set jet) WAS missing. Cleaning up the table I found the little "seat" which sits under the needle holder. Too many parts for an old man......
15 years since I last did any work on a 2-stroke. Doesn´t help either............ Case solved.

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:16 pm

That could have been rather expensive. A few drink vouchers for Luciano

luggy

Post by luggy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:43 pm

after opening this far, can you dump the rest in an ultraschall bath, without destroying everything?
gravity is an extreme painful thing !