RGV Ignition Swop.

The bit everyone hates, electrical problems. Hope you find your fix here. Posting restricted to registered users.
ian wright

RGV Ignition Swop.

Post by ian wright »

Hi all, I recently had my ignition system swopped over to Suzuki RGV250 / Aprilia RS250, by Elergy of this Forum, whom I'm extremely greatful to. My bike a big bore 500 on the same Dyno as i've used before, without any other changes, made a whopping 9BHP more at the top end with increased power from the word go and around 5BHP in the midrange. The Torque curve was also a lot healthier !
I picked up all the parts I needed off Ebay, for around £100, which makes the ignition mod, the most value for money BHP increase ever !!!!
I'm pretty sure simular BHP gains could be had on a 400 as long as you used a decent set of pipes. I'll be carrying out the same mod on my NS444, watch this space for the dyno results.

bloodnut

Post by bloodnut »

so what power did you get then Ian?

Have you ridden it since?

awesome mod.

Jared
if all else fails - gas it

ian wright

RGV Ignition swap

Post by ian wright »

Hi Jared, Back wheel power was 78.7BHP and 47ftlb Torque. I'm still running the stock top pipe with these figures but will be fitting / making a top kit pipe and carring out a few other mods + jetting, before I spend a little more time on the dyno. I've also discovered a guy who is developing a fully programmable digital ignition system for the RGV ignition which I'm sure would unleash a few more horses. I will hopefully be trying her out on the 28th of March on a trackday, can't wait !

Cheers Ian

Luciano

Post by Luciano »

Hi Ian.
If I want to make an ignition mod to my NS.
What kind of parts do I then need to fetch from eBay? (Pickup, coil, ignition box and so on…?)
Best regards, Luciano
Torque over the whole register.

ian wright

RGV Ignition swop

Post by ian wright »

Hi Luciano,
Yes you will need, a wiring loom, CDI Unit, SAPC Unit, Pick ups, 3 Coils and the throttle control sensor box and a RGV250 wiring diagram!
If you check the engine section of the Forum and look for a thread on power you'll find more information on the subject, by Elergy.

Thanks Ian

Luciano

Post by Luciano »

Thanks Ian for the direction.
This is a modification I will bare in mind!
Best regards Luciano.
Torque over the whole register.

VinCBR900

Post by VinCBR900 »

Are there any pictures of the installation? Mountings, pickups etc
Looking for MC18

ian wright

RGV Ignition swop

Post by ian wright »

Hi, As my 500 race bike is far from standard we've mounted most of the electrics in a place where they wouldn't fit on the standard bike ie under the NC30 Petrol tank, on top of the airbox! So when my much more standard NS444 race bike has had the same mod I'll try and post some pictures up, as the electrics will have to be mounted in a different position. I've also had a few aluminium pickup mounting brackets made up, If anyone needs one PM me.

Thanks Ian

ian wright

RGV Ignition Swop

Post by ian wright »

Hi all, I finally got around to riding my 500 this Wednesday at the Aintree circuit in Liverpool. It's the first time I've ridden it with the ignition mod and have to say that it felt brilliant! Very nice power delivery and enough over- rev to keep it in the power band all round the circuit.
Since dynoing it I've also made up and fitted a race pipe for the top cylinder, cut an arch in the back of the pistons and fitted new rings, so it might be that I need to adjust the jetting slightly, back on the dyno. At a guess though I'd say it must be now making around 85BHP. I'll find out for sure in the next few weeks as I'll be taking my other NS444 race bike and the 500 to the dyno to compare the two. The 444 has also had the RGV treatment and also has a programmable ignition box fitted to it. Should be a close run thing! I'll post some race dates as soon as.

Cheers Ian

Racer

Post by Racer »

Very interesting mods Ian. Good luck with your dyno testing....Cant wait to see the result :lol:

Cheers

Tor
ESW Rotax 250 tandem twin racer, VFR400R Racer, NS400CR Racer, NS400R street special/VFR400R racer hybrid, Kawasaki S2 350, Yamaha RD500LC. RGV250 VJ23. Bianchi Motor Sport P2 "Compe Cliente" minimoto

vin31

Re: RGV Ignition Swop.

Post by vin31 »

any updates?

Racer

Post by Racer »

Hi Ian

We are dying for your last dynorun results here mate.
ESW Rotax 250 tandem twin racer, VFR400R Racer, NS400CR Racer, NS400R street special/VFR400R racer hybrid, Kawasaki S2 350, Yamaha RD500LC. RGV250 VJ23. Bianchi Motor Sport P2 "Compe Cliente" minimoto

ian wright

Post by ian wright »

Hi Tor,
So am I but the Dyno shop I've been going to for the last 15 years or so has sold up and doesn't exist any more!
I have another place in mind and will have to get over there and check the bikes out before I use them in anger.

Cheers Ian.

mikeb

Post by mikeb »

ian take a look at this tread , some of the guys from the nsr forum were using one is basingstoke its not the closest to you ,but they know what they are doing
http://www.nsr250.net/forums/viewtopic. ... 97&start=0

cheers mike

Racer

Post by Racer »

Ian

I have started working on my NS racing project again, after a six month brake. Have just finnished machining and porting std cylinders now. Heads also finnished with O-ring heads and closer squish. Hope to have an initial dynorun during early summer.

Racer