Red Warning Light

The bit everyone hates, electrical problems. Hope you find your fix here. Posting restricted to registered users.
scramjet
AntiSpam: No

Red Warning Light

Post by scramjet »

Hi, I know this sounds a bit basic but I cannot find any reference for the warning lights just below the instruments . I have gone through every page of the w/s manual however that detail is not provided . I have a steady red light, between the left indicator light, and the blue oil low level light, when the revs go above 6k. I this alternator failure ...

Ian
Site Admin
Location: UK, Near the middle................................

Re: Red Warning Light

Post by Ian »

Is this red light part of the speedo or inline with the other warning lights?

The BLUE isn't for the oil it is for high beam of the headlight.
Red is the two stroke oil level and comes on when the level is getting low.
Green is for neutal.
Yellow is for the indicators.

A red light inside the speedo, at the bottom, is to tell you to slow down if your in Japan!

scramjet

Post by scramjet »

You might be on to something with the speed limit . My bike is a Jap import and I have only done about 30 miles on it so far . . I replaced a broken speedo cable earlier today . The light is in a strip just below the fuses .
Indicator - Red? - Oil -Neutral- High Beam - Indicator .
It must be a speed limiter... which explains why the inner was missing from the old speedo cable!

Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

I don't have an image of the dash to hand but I think you may be getting the oil level light confused with the speed indicator light.

Anyone else have an image they can post up?

scramjet

Post by scramjet »

Hi Ian .
Thanks for the response . I will try to upload a pic of the panel from my 400. if I can figure out how to do it ..

DSC00013.JPG

scramjet

Post by scramjet »

Hi . This is the panel...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bastrdx

Post by bastrdx »

the split blue/orange is the high beam / speed warning light from a Japanese import model
so from left to right
indicator oil warning high beam/ speed neutral indicator

scramjet

Post by scramjet »

Thanks for your help bastrdx. The light with the reflection showing in the photo has an 'OIL' caption on it . I presumed that was oil tank level . I think more speed limit testing is needed to get to the bottom of this ..

Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

Dsc00015.jpg
1: Left Indicator

2: Speed Warning light

3: Oil Level

4: High Beam

5: Neutral

6: Right Indicator
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Luciano

Post by Luciano »

scramjet wrote:Thanks for your help bastrdx. The light with the reflection showing in the photo has an 'OIL' caption on it . I presumed that was oil tank level . I think more speed limit testing is needed to get to the bottom of this ..
Please tell us that you have ensured that you have sufficient with oil BEFORE you start to "speed limit testing" and risk that you got to the bottom of the oil tank... :D
Torque over the whole register.

scramjet

Post by scramjet »

the tank is full .....and even if it was empty at this stage I would probably have to tell a little porkey .. Thanks for sorting this

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

My NC24 also has the oil light and speed warning light as one and the same. It was most disconcerting the first time it lit up (about ten minutes after I had got her through the MOT following six months of parts searching).

It should however not be engine speed related though.

scramjet

Post by scramjet »

Ok .
This one can now be closed . The red light comes on at appx 88kph on the Jap imports .

Mark

Post by Mark »

scramjet wrote:Ok .
This one can now be closed . The red light comes on at appx 88kph on the Jap imports .
I fitted an mph converter to the speedo head, mainly because I couldn't be doing with stickers on the speedo glass. It also meant that the light came on at 88mph (ish) instead.

That was still irritating, so I put a bit of tape over the light :roll: :)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.