Break light

The bit everyone hates, electrical problems. Hope you find your fix here. Posting restricted to registered users.
lisleowen
AntiSpam: No

Break light

Post by lisleowen »

My brake light has suddenly gone off. I replaced the bulb but still no brake light when using front or rear brake. The tail light is still on. Any ideas.

Paul

jelle

Re: Break light

Post by jelle »

Did U check the fuses?
If they are all fine its probably a wire failure or faulty contact somewhere near the lightbulb.
Since it doesn't work with eather of the 2 brakes its not likely to be the brakeswitch itsself...
If its a blown fuse, turn signals, horn and passing switch should be dead as well.
If its the wiring, the problem is most likely to be the green/yellow one (should be green/yellow, green and brown arriving at the taillight)
Speed kills! But it sure keeps U awake!!!!

lisleowen

Post by lisleowen »

Thanks that's usefull. The horn etc works, In fact everything works. Connections near light seem ok. Haven't checked fuses yet as didn't think brake light would have its own fuse, just for the light. I will have another look , looking like a trip to the garage. Cheers

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Time to get the multimeter out and methodically check everything.

lisleowen

Post by lisleowen »

What's one of them, joke one thing I don't do is electrics leave it the professionals. Panel beating is my thing, don't do mechanical or electrical unless it's smacking me in the face and is straightforward ie unplug and plug back in. Just about to put her on eBay aswell, typical ?

lisleowen

Post by lisleowen »

Just had a friend around who Knows a bit about electrics who had a look at my bike. I didn't notice but when u turn the lights off the tail light stays on. He seems fairly certain it's the relay. Can anybody tell me where the relay box would be.

Regards
Paul

lisleowen

Post by lisleowen »

I found the problem, the rear brake switch has a pin in the centre that goes in and out when the brake pedal is pressed. This pin had seized, took switch off and lubricated it's fine now.

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Then the fault wasn't with the tail light, but the stop light.

lisleowen

Post by lisleowen »

Yeah I only realised when I noticed the rear light was still on after I turned the lights off. Then a visit to my local garage who told me to check both break light switches. Thanks for everyone's help appreciated.