Rs500 replica build

If your problem does not fall into the above catagories, hopefully you will find some answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
nigelrb
AntiSpam: No

Re: Rs500 replica build

Post by nigelrb »

Very interesting pipe work. The whole project's coming on well. Bet you'll be glad to finish.

If you're interested in selling the original pillion seat cowl, I'd be interested. :wink:
1985 Honda NS400R

Samuli

Post by Samuli »

nigelrb wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:58 pm
Very interesting pipe work. The whole project's coming on well. Bet you'll be glad to finish.

If you're interested in selling the original pillion seat cowl, I'd be interested. :wink:
Thanks! Finishing the project will have to wait as riding season is already knocking on the door. Just want to enjoy the bike this year. Changing to original fairing atm so the cowl is not for sale.

nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Okay, cheers, not a problem.

Door's already open in West Mids for riding. Even been out today before the major insect attacks!! :wink:
1985 Honda NS400R

Samuli

Post by Samuli »

Nice! A bit jealous of that. Feels like its been a decade from the last ride on mine, want to get back on it as soon as possible. Its quite amazing after getting the big bore kit (thanks Ian) :wink:

That I got to deal with before riding.
Ive been stupid fixing the gas tank. First made a quick fix, last year I welded it in many spots. Tested and no leaks. After getting the big bore installed, first time filling full tank it started pissing out ffs. Ride back to garage and really fast tank off to find where its coming.

It was coming just in the seam of the front bracket, did not want to weld because it was already mid summer. So fixed with epoxy.

Now I want to make a permanent and last fix on the tank.
So im going to drill the front bracket off and get the bottom sandblasted to find any spots I did not find last year. Then welding, acid bath(again) and then ready to rock.

nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

I have tank probs too, but more cosmetic. Whoever did a resto on mine made a poor job of matching the white stripes from tank to rear fairing. Presently at Dream Machine http://www.dream-machine.co.uk/ to be done properly. Just passing this on should you need a quality painter. :wink:
1985 Honda NS400R

Mark

Post by Mark »

nigelrb wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:04 pm
I have tank probs too, but more cosmetic. Whoever did a resto on mine made a poor job of matching the white stripes from tank to rear fairing. Presently at Dream Machine http://www.dream-machine.co.uk/ to be done properly. Just passing this on should you need a quality painter. :wink:
I'd be interested to know how much a Dream Machine paint job is these days. I'm looking to have mine repainted. Fortunately, my tank is rust free, but has the odd ding...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

I think around £1500 depending on colour/decal treatment. I'm having only the tank done which has been quoted as £350-ish. That will probably mean £400-plus :roll: . Might seem expensive, but we all know that for the best job we have to shell out!!
1985 Honda NS400R

Mark

Post by Mark »

nigelrb wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:30 am
I think around £1500 depending on colour/decal treatment. I'm having only the tank done which has been quoted as £350-ish. That will probably mean £400-plus :roll: . Might seem expensive, but we all know that for the best job we have to shell out!!
How did the dream machine paint work out?

nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Mark wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:17 am

How did the dream machine paint work out?
So sorry about delay, Mark. Not on here much as most of my time is on the UK Fireblade forum.

Anyway, tank came out perfect! My key interest was re-aligning stripes with bodywork cos the previous owner was not as fastidious as myself. I'd have no hesitation in going back to them. They also picked up and delivered my bike for £100.00 which was reasonable for a 90 min each way trip.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Last edited by nigelrb on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Honda NS400R

Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Nigel,

Yes, it certainly looks much better with the stripes correctly aligned. I'm pretty sure I saw the bike for sale a year or so ago?

Ah, yes. I see you have one or two diesel Hondas, and one is even the pretty version.. I do like the 03-06 model. I have a '93 P.

nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Mark wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:31 pm
Hi Nigel,

Yes, it certainly looks much better with the stripes correctly aligned. I'm pretty sure I saw the bike for sale a year or so ago?

Ah, yes. I see you have one or two diesel Hondas, and one is even the pretty version.. I do like the 03-06 model. I have a '93 P.
Yes, Mark. June 21 last year. Bought it from a private seller in Doncaster. Paid over the odds, but I guess it's par for the course for these. Was in fairly good nick though. The only crying shame is that a previous owner doing a restoration spray painted the wheel rims without taking the time to cover the rivets. Wouldn't worry some, but to me it's negligent and time and/or money saving.

I guess with '03 - 06' you're referring to the 'underseat exhaust' models, which were actually 04 - 07. I have one of the last 03s which is a yellow/black 954. The 'pretty' one you refer to might be the 04 White/Red/Blue which only last week was left as a deposit on the new 2020 RR-R SP to be delivered in April. :)

1985 Honda NS400R