Rs500 replica build

If your problem does not fall into the above catagories, hopefully you will find some answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
Samuli
AntiSpam: No

Re: Rs500 replica build

Post by Samuli »

2 days ago there was a nice surprise waiting at home after I got back from work at night.

Now Ive got all the parts for crank rebuild, just dont have the time at the moment as got a big project going at work with a tight schedule so working 12h+ everyday. Gotta move to new apartment also this month so pretty busy.

Yesterday a friend at work lightened the flywheel of my ns, easily 300grams shaved off. Still gotta do the balancing.

Samuli

Post by Samuli »

I've been so busy at work and moving houses took a lot of time, so did not get any progress in a month, pretty pissed! Atleast I got some stuff for the build, tail light, rear indicators etc..

This week I got the crank pin shortened by a friend at work (from 51 to 49mm).

I will start the crank assembling maybe tomorrow. Hopefully get it done this week, next week Im away from town so no progress eh..

Also my cousin brought the fairings back, the lower fairing got scoops added for the stock pipes, it looks great!

The tailpiece still needs little cutting and finishing.

Looks really much better now.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Looking good. Stock NS almost
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

William

Post by William »

Good job!

Samuli

Post by Samuli »

Thanks!

This weekend I finally had the time for crankshaft assembling, and it was really nice to have LOTS of time as this was my first multicyl crank.

Nice new viton? Seals from mister dmr-japan.
Starting of the assembly

Next up using of the jig.

And many many hours , blood sweat and really much coffee later I finally came up with a trued up crank.

I used nsr150 rods on the rebuild, needed to grind a bit off from these at the bottom to not interfere with crank inside. All other dimensions match ns con rod except lenght center to center +1mm.

The crank pin on ns crank is 49 mm and the pin you get with the 150 kits is 51mm long. I got these shortened, so got 2 spares if someone needs a new center pin.

Mark

Post by Mark »

How will you make clearance at the top end with the longer rod? Will you be using extra base gaskets or a shim to jack up the barrels?

Samuli

Post by Samuli »

I bought extra thick base gaskets from Ian Wright that will be enought. He has pretty many different thickness in stock, also aluminium spacers.

Mark

Post by Mark »

That would have been my suggestion, but you're ahead of me..

Samuli

Post by Samuli »

I first thought I would make a spacer myself and use twin gaskets, but I was ordering some other stuff from Ian and asked if he had any spacers.
He then kindly gave me an advise to use the thick base gaskets, theres where the idea came from.
If your reading this Ian, thanks for the help!
I'm on a work trip at the moment, dont like it at all as I would like to finish putting the engine back together..

Samuli

Post by Samuli »

Today was a nice day, finally got to assemble the engine.

Only cylinders were not installed, I will give them a light honing tomorrow and then I can put the rest together.

And some daydreaming.. 8)

Mark

Post by Mark »

Fast progress considering you've been working away.

Will we have dyno results for Monday? :wink: :)

Samuli

Post by Samuli »

Nope, no dyno chard. :( On last sunday Got the cylinders honed and installed cruzinimage pistons, measured them all around and they seem to be constant and the right size. Rings fitted nicely too. Hopefully it wont seize on the first start. :D I had a tought time on deciding to if I would buy the pistons, based on numerous posts i read about the cruzinimage pistons for other 2 strokes they seem to be pretty good. Didnt find any information of destructed ones so I decided to try them as the price was a bargain.
Got the cylinders and pumps installed so next in the frame she goes after cleaning.
Today I came back from work trip, and I have a 2 week holiday. Too bad the first week will be spent renovating the kitchen at my home. :x
But the second week Ill be on the build, lots of stuff to do still, but maybe I get to ride her!

Samuli

Post by Samuli »

Got the kitchen finished. Today jumped on the build and I got the engine in the frame and some other bits
I also cleaned the atacs this year and put some new seals as they werent working properly.
I had a tought time with them, everything was well cleaned but I couldnt get the valves return to open position. After some hours of swearing I decided to put a little shim on the return spring to get the valve to open. It started to work nicely. So I think that the spring had given up. Now the valve closes when given battery voltage and opens fully after that. Pleased with it, took lots of time to sort thought.. Hopefully tomorrow is going to be better with no drawbacks!

Samuli

Post by Samuli »

Some more lonetalking..

This week i have done lots of work on the bike.
Got the atac spacers finished, welded lower pipes stingers and painted pipes.
Got the flywheel balanced, this was funny as actually as i took it to a car wheel company and they managed to put it on a wheelbalancing machine, it was only 2 grams out of balance after the machining job. So he marked the spot and I drilled carefully 2 grams off. So that was sorted.
Also fitting of oil tank and other various bits took alot of time as I had to do some brackets for these.
Also got all lights fitted and register plate holder made.
Now I have the bike all assembled and I got it running!
Proof of the smoke signs (from bleeding the oil pump.)
Im so pleased, havent ridden it yet tho. Tomorrow Im going to go riding for a pretty long test drive, hopefully she wont blow up!

The screen is huge and looks a bit odd. Hopefully Ill get used to it.

Fairing will be finished later, now I just want to ride!

Mark

Post by Mark »

Wow, great work :shock:

Looking really good!

Hope it rides well after all your hard work!!