New Owner - First Post

Needs no description. Posting restricted to registered users
Straycat
AntiSpam: No

New Owner - First Post

Post by Straycat »

Hi All, I'm new here, and have just purchased a 1986 NS400R in HRC colours. Im located in Canada.

The new-to-me NS400R I just got is in pretty good shape overall. Mechanically its excellent, its been fully rebuilt (properly), Cosmetically its OK, but its going to get a full restoration.

there are a few small parts missing, but I'm in the process of getting those.

I'll definitely have a few questions as I go through the restoration process, I'll post some pic here as it progresses.

Ill be collecting parts etc for a short while and once I have everything Ill set to it.

A thanks in advance to those of you who have provided access here to parts lists and online shop manuals, and thanks to those of you out there selling parts and making reproduction parts to help keep these bikes on the road

A few basic questions to begin:

1) the "HRC" decal on my bike is on the lower section of the side cover, in some pictures i see it on the Solo seat cover. My first NSR didnt have an HRC decal at all -- Did the original bike come with these, if so, whats the correct location for it ?
2) the original front blinkers/winkers/indicator lights (depending where your from) are no longer on this bike, it has aftermarket, small flush mounted ones on it. I have a set of NOS Japanese spec flush mounts to go on (larger) and I need to know if the Stock white fairing inserts are left in place to mount these Japanese spec turn signals on the front.?
3) Were the kickstand covers originally Metal or ABS plastic ? I've seen both
4) being that the fairing/cowl is ABS plastic, what products have folks used to fix/repair cracks and breaks. Does ABS plumbers solvent work at all ? traditional Fiber-glass and Resin usually isn't the best solution on these. I have used a product called " Polyall 2000" before on composite plastic snowmobile cowl's with incredible results ( I restore Vintage Snowmobiles)

thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Straycat on Tue May 29, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1986 Honda NS400r
1985 Yam RZ500
1990 Yam RZ350 YPVS
1987 Suzuki RG250
1988 Suzuki RGV250 VJ21
1989 Yam FZR400
1986 Honda TLR 200 Relfex
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor
1985 Honda VF500F Rothmans
1985 Hond VF1000R (x4)
2014 Honda VFR800

Alastair

Re: New Owner - First Post

Post by Alastair »

Welcome. Good luck with the restoration.

To answer 2 of your questions:

The HRC decal only came on UK bikes on the solo seat cowl.

Original sidestand covers were only metal.

Straycat

Post by Straycat »

Thanks a lot Alastair.

I also have my answer to the Blinkers/Turn signal Question (thanks Ian W.)

For the final question #4 ill be "experimenting" a bit Im gonna try my hand at plastic welding and also a product called Plastex. The hardest part to repair will likely be the upper fairing extensions that sit behind the mirror mounting points. If these are not repaired at the corect angle and with some "give", they'll surely break again.
1986 Honda NS400r
1985 Yam RZ500
1990 Yam RZ350 YPVS
1987 Suzuki RG250
1988 Suzuki RGV250 VJ21
1989 Yam FZR400
1985 Hond VF1000R (x4)
2014 Honda VFR800

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Straycat wrote:Thanks a lot Alastair.

I also have my answer to the Blinkers/Turn signal Question (thanks Ian W.)

For the final question #4 ill be "experimenting" a bit Im gonna try my hand at plastic welding and also a product called Plastex. The hardest part to repair will likely be the upper fairing extensions that sit behind the mirror mounting points. If these are not repaired at the corect angle and with some "give", they'll surely break again.
Before you do that, have a look at Q-bond, which is basically a tube of superglue and baking soda.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Q-Bo ... g_Kit_QBPA

Some of the fairing/mudguards I have repaired this way are stronger than when they were originally produced, none have broken apart since. Cheap as well, though experiment away from the paintwork first to build up some experience

andy pandy

Post by andy pandy »

I aree with channel hopper i have had good resuls with Qbond i think its better than plastex.

IF IT AINT BROKE MODIFY IT

Straycat

Post by Straycat »

thanks for the tip/advice fellas, ill see if I can get some here in Canada to give it a try.

I've been watching youtube video's of plastic welding and various products like plastex, plastifix, Lord Fusion etc. I really want to ensure this is done right and will last. There are so many products available its good to get these tips form folks that have tried a few of them out. Nothing worse than spending alot of time & money repairing & repainting only to have a fairing crack again or find out the glue doesnt react well to some paints. Im also reading that many of these adhesives are strong but brittle, which worries me for that section behind the mirrors which will have to give a wee bit.

Generally I'll see if I can get my hands on an old fairing from a wrecking yard to esperiment on, I dont want to make a mess of the job on the NS
1986 Honda NS400r
1985 Yam RZ500
1990 Yam RZ350 YPVS
1987 Suzuki RG250
1988 Suzuki RGV250 VJ21
1989 Yam FZR400
1985 Hond VF1000R (x4)
2014 Honda VFR800

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Straycat wrote:thanks for the tip/advice fellas, ill see if I can get some here in Canada to give it a try.

As mentioned, it is nothing more than superglue and baking soda (though there is a slightly different compound that dries black as opposed to an off-white)

And it certainly isn't brittle, our local reseller of the stuff has a block of plastic with almost every other material known to man bonded to it in some way with Q-Bond. Nobody yet has managed to break one off without cracking it somewhere away from the join first.

fredie

Post by fredie »

welcome to the forum :P

ubfreakin

Post by ubfreakin »

Answer to question 4:

I have been using Q-bond. This stuff has worked the best for me when repairing fairings. You can also, if you are good, use it to form missing pieces or brackets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Q-Bond-Ultra-St ... 96&vxp=mtr