Running Hot

All your power station questions answered. Posting restricted to registered users.
BarnsleyNs
AntiSpam: No

Running Hot

Post by BarnsleyNs » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi My standard Ns400r as started to get really hot in standing traffic or in slow running traffic it never boils over or loses any coolant but does put some in to expansion tank but not any blows out but does go up to top of temp gauge last weekend left it ticking over after a run and the fan kicked in so I know that working ok but it’s way too hot for my liking before fan comes on.I have never noticed it before in spring or early summer riding it , is it due to how warm it is now or are they normally like this? Anyone got any ideas I’ve just managed to get a Nos Thermostat for it and thought about fitting that .

Channel Hopper

Re: Running Hot

Post by Channel Hopper » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:12 pm

As with all watercooled Hondas I have owned that are used in traffic (with the exception of the NTV650) , fit a bypass switch to the thermostat circuit so that you can turn on the fans from the cockpit.

Far cheaper than flushing, more efficient radiators, different coolant etc.

BarnsleyNs

Post by BarnsleyNs » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi yes I think Iam going to do that I’ve had 2 Nsr 250 Mc21 and never had a problem with them running hot so wasn’t sure if the Ns400R was known for running hot my Nsr 250 never moved from just above first mark on temp gauge.

Paul-IOM

Post by Paul-IOM » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:43 pm

If you want an easy fix look for a product called 'Water Wetter' I think it's made by Redline.

My 500 always ran too hot back when I raced it, the fan had been removed and if we got held on the startline for more than a minute after the warm up lap I always had problems as the temp would climb and then stay high causing the bike to lose its edge during the race.

When I restored it and wanted to run it in classic parades I was concerned that it would cook itself during the inevitable delays when assembling for parades, so I went to see a karting guy to discuss having a small additional radiator made for it, he told me to try a bottle of the Water Wetter instead, I was very cynical of a 'fix in a bottle' but tried it anyway, and yes he was right, adding around a quarter of the bottle to the coolant dropped the running temp by around 10-15c.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:13 pm

Paul-IOM wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:43 pm
If you want an easy fix look for a product called 'Water Wetter' I think it's made by Redline.
I've heard of this and had been sceptical, as you were. I may just give it a go.

The NS fan is pitiful at best, so I opted for a big rad, which as yet is untested. It's handy to know that the product works
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

BarnsleyNs

Post by BarnsleyNs » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:06 pm

Cheers for reply’s decided to fit new thermostat and flush radiator out and see if that helps .