hole again

All your power station questions answered. Posting restricted to registered users.
luggy
AntiSpam: No

hole again

Post by luggy »

you are not going to believe this but;
there is a hole in my piston, my piston, my piston, there is a hole in my piston, my piston,there is a hole. Again grrrrrrr
tecnically speaking it is ian wrights piston ( can send you the hole if you want it ian, will keep the rest for reference )
how did it happen, well .... my friend wanted to go to the hungaroring with his fireblade, but not alone, so i said i will take the ns for some ring air !
apart from the second gear jumping out now and again, it was running well so why not, change front fairings and off we go .
Once there the ns would run to 7500 then splutter refuse to go higher and then stall only to resart itself and continue at 6000 revving up to 7500 again and so on
so back in the box turn the a/f screws out one quarter and try again, no better, so back again programm the ignition to original honda ( between 2500 and 10000 revs 25 degrees )
went ou to 8500 but splutter stall and so on , back again to the box play with curve and try again, after 5 th test (all no better ) a/f screw 1/4 in , again no better
not going to ruin a whole weekend with this , just have to whip some 600 cc diesels with rev band no bigger than 1500 ( 7500 to 9000) worked well til friend came past with fireblade, stick on close to him and when he brakes for the corners nail him, got him now just stay in front ... hey its a 2 cylinder, and there goes the fireblade. sh.t, back to the box , pack up and go home.
At home plug on no. 1 out ,no compression
there is a hole in my piston, my piston, my piston, there is a hole in my piston, my piston,there is a hole.
just sorting out a lambda system to interchange on all exhausts to get the mixture right, if it works, will give the run down on it . looking to set it up at 14.0 to 14.4 on all 3 cylinders.
by the way, turned down the rotor and fine ballanced it, could that be the reason for the ignition spluttering ? any experience on that?
could do with some pistons for B/C barrels if anybody has some laying around, prefferably in dozens :mrgreen:

cheers luggy
gravity is an extreme painful thing !

Channel Hopper

Re: hole again

Post by Channel Hopper »

So, which cylinder ?

Ian
Site Admin
Location: UK, Near the middle................................

Post by Ian »

No1. There is a major air leak there somewhere!

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Well there's a low mileage crank going on eBay, with all the seals.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

luggy

Post by luggy »

hallo, have a 475 kit with renewed crank and gearbox in the garage waiting to be put together all from the same seller, but want to find out why this keeps happening before i put the new piston/barrel set on . would start to cry if i f..k them up in the same way, on the other hand bombadier rotax is only around the corner and they still make 2 strokes.......

Luciano

Post by Luciano »

If you had the hole in the piston on the same cylinder twice (the no1)?
And you cant make the engine to work properly.
Maybe it is a indication that the crank is not air tight towards the generator and is sucking air from there?
(I guess that is why Channel Hopper is suggesting a new crank with seals)
Best regards, Luciano.
Torque over the whole register.

luggy

Post by luggy »

well it sounds like a strip down and putting new parts in, but can an air leak explain the motor cutting out at 7500 rpm or is that a coil problem?
if one was to change the ignition coils and pickups to something newer , what would one use ?
cheers

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

General consensus is a swap-over to RGV electrics

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2708

Though if you also get ignition as well as an airleak then I would suggest the bearing (and seal) nearest the flywheel is shot.

It happened to me on a very early RD200, one day it would be fine, the next the points were completely out, leave it a week and she would run again. The flywheel was way out of balance from the factory.

luggy

Post by luggy »

thanks for the answer, is there any impairment with the changeover (other than fitting it ) if so what and how is it fixed, can you buy new rgv ignitions and coils and are they more modern/reliable ?
the cutouts started after i had the rotor enlightened and fine ballanced,
cheers

Luciano

Post by Luciano »

If you cant rev past 7500rpm then it is the stator that is the fault?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1905
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1729
viewtopic.php?t=793&highlight=7000
Torque over the whole register.

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Luciano wrote:If you cant rev past 7500rpm then it is the stator that is the fault?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1905
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1729
viewtopic.php?t=793&highlight=7000

The stator is wrapped nicely around the bearing inside the two crankcase halves on the left side. The vibration of a failed one is going to cause havoc on enamel coatings, and a poorly balanced flywheel (on a crank that is moving about) is likely to create all sorts of voltage issues at any engine speed.

luggy

Post by luggy »

here are some better looking holes, but somehow i think they are on purpose
http://www.mozzi-kolbentuning.de/index. ... &Itemid=28 :D
http://www.mozzi-kolbentuning.de/index. ... &Itemid=57
they are prettier than mine :mrgreen:

Mark

Post by Mark »

Are they Pepper pots, or Salt shakers?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

luggy

Post by luggy »

look again carefully,apparently they increase power, i know it is german but look at the dynosheet, the question is , is it worth doing?

Mark

Post by Mark »

luggy wrote:look again carefully,apparently they increase power, i know it is german but look at the dynosheet, the question is , is it worth doing?
I've had a look at the dyno sheet. What have they done?

I've looked at the text, and the spelling is awful. It may as well be in German...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.