CBR600 wheel conversion

Upgrading or servicing, find your answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
Rickey Porter

CBR600 wheel conversion

Post by Rickey Porter »

Easiest wheel conversion i've found is CBR250RR rear and CBR400 or 250 front. 4x17 and 2.5x17.
Front accepts origional axle and disc so drops straight in.
Rear requires same sprocket carrier mod as Ian suggests, though i found milling the brake caliper bracket an easier solution.
Tyres are 100/80/17 and 140/60/17.
I have a set with a 150/70/17 fitted to the rear, but this runs VERY close to the chain.
I dont visit the forum very often, so if you want more info, just drop me an email.
Rick
rick@rpracing.co.nz

geez-r

rear wheel conversion.

Post by geez-r »

I've just done this CBR teapot wheel conversion. The front one fitted almost straight in with minor mods to the speedo drive and using the NS bearings and spindle. The rear was easy to slot in and uses the CBR bearings and NS spindle. I had to make up spacers to centralise the wheel in the swinging arm. On mine I removed 8mm from the three mounting points for the disc and 10mm from the sprocket carrier so the these line up exactly. (Ian Roberts' post dated Jan 8th 2003 says 8mm off the sprocket side and 10 mm off the disc but it was definately the other way round with mine?!) The discs are the same on both bikes, front and rear. The CBR rear wheel was fitted with a 43 tooth sprocket whereas the NS should run a 40 tooth so a replacement is required if the gearing is to be kept the same. As far as tyres are concerned, I have fitted Bridgestone BT090s. The front is 110/70-17 and the rear is 140/70-17. The rear clears the chain and brake arm and the wheel diameters are virtually the same so the handling and gearing should be unaffected. I would certainly recommend this easy conversion and also the BT090s, which are excellent. Pics to follow!

geez-r

CBR6 wheel conversion.

Post by geez-r »

Turns out that Ian Roberts 10mm off the disc side and 8mm off the sprocket carrier was correct. The back of my actual bike wasn't dead straight and once I'd replaced the swinging arm and bushes I had to put a 2mm spacer in between the sprocket and carrier to line the chain up. Now the wheels are dead in line (been on a jig) and so are the sprockets. The rear disc may be offset by about 2mm but as that is taken up by the caliper arrangement I haven't bothered taking another 2mm off that side of the wheel yet. Hope this clears things up!! Cheers, geez-r.

rvt2002

Post by rvt2002 »

Got mine done too :D I'll post pics soon.

Heres the details

8mm- shaved on sprocket carrier
10 mm - " rotors carrier
4.25 mm - " bracket
9 mm -spacer on the left side(used cbr600)
15 mm- on the right side(used cbr600)

Total cost of this project $95 for the machining

CarlH

CBR600 wheel conversion

Post by CarlH »

For those of you with a trackday/racing interest the CBR600 Jellymould wheels: 2.5 in front and 3.5 in rear take the GP125 sized racing tyres. I race an MZ250 and have used these wheels as a conversion specifically to allow me to use these tyres. Dunlop do slicks inters and wets to fit these rims and Bridgestone do slicks and wets. A bit pricey but the grip is phenomenal.

As I have a spare rear wheel and sprocket carrier I will probably convert my NS thanks to the excellent info found here.

Cheers

Carl

john rapson

Re: CBR600 wheel conversion

Post by john rapson »

HI
as any body got any pics of the rear wheel conversion and some measurements to save me from doing any head scratching.
Regards John.
email:- john@johnrapson.orangehome.co.uk

Ripwalk

Post by Ripwalk »

I'm also in the process of doing this conversion. The rear hasn't been any problem yet. I need to make the measurements and have the machining done but the CBR600 rear wheel fits on the NS axle. The disc brake from the NS also fits right onto the CBR600 wheel. You'll also need the sprocket, and sprocket carrier/cush drive from the CBR600.

The front isn't working out as smoothly. The CBR600 wheel won't fit on the NS axle. Does anybody know if I am supposed to swap the wheel bearings as well? Also the speedometer drive from the NS doesn't seem to work with the CBR600 wheel.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Or machine out another Honda swingarm to fit the NS frame and CBR wheel.

I will measure up the VF500 and 750 swingarms at the weekend and post results against the 400.

fredie

Post by fredie »

that will be cool :wink:

andy pandy
AntiSpam: No

Post by andy pandy »

I have just finished this conversion had brake rotor side milled off on surface mill not mounted in lathe.
Using jelly mold 43 tooth sprocket at moment as original seemed overgeared ie hill or headwind meant change down.
Not sure how this will work out but we see,as 43 tooth fits with std length chain so have a bit to play with.

Now for front conversion cbr600 wheel.

Mark

Post by Mark »

andy pandy wrote: Using jelly mold 43 tooth sprocket at moment as original seemed overgeared ie hill or headwind meant change down
In which gear, and at what speed Andy?

An extra tooth or two on the rear may help. Sixth is very tall on the NS. You'll find it won't really pull in top until you're into three figures. Or so I'm told. Obviously I don't go that fast...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

luggy

Post by luggy »

the offset sprocket does not solve the problem all together, (see my bike pics) you still have to lathe some off to get the back wheel to run in the middle, all other parts fit, ie axle .
i made up some new spacers to get everything in place, and also use a 520 chain , every little bit helps.
Puting a 150 tyre on it is not a good idea, if using cbr 600 wheels try 110/140 , i use bridgestone bt003 road racing , as they are the only ones able to supply front and rear sizes, plus they are more than ample for the road, after 3 rounds on the track they tend to get hot, but are good manered and tell you when they start to slide, still they are road tyres !
gravity is an extreme painful thing !

andy pandy

Post by andy pandy »

Even into 3 figures 6 th seems very high and as said needs downshift from 6th to 5 will go faster in 5 th than 6 9.500 rpm in 5th results in indiicated top speed of 135 mph on changing into 6th speed falls off.May have to get smaller front sprocket. Mind i dont supppose all the years of christmas pud round my waist helps.

andy pandy

Post by andy pandy »

Does anyone have details of mods to speedo drive when fitting cbr jelly mould front wheel,have searched thread with no success.

{IF IT AINT BROKE MODIFY IT} :!: :!:

ian wright

Post by ian wright »

The speedo drive pick up is larger on the 600 wheel, the 600 speedo drive can't be used as the spindle hole is larger, all you need to do is flatten the tangs on the NS's drive plate where they are bent over so that they locate in the slots on the 600's wheel, you will also need to use the 600's dust seal as the NS's is too small.

Cheers Ian