Tightening comstar wheels

Upgrading or servicing, find your answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
kangaroo
AntiSpam: No

Tightening comstar wheels

Post by kangaroo »

Hey guys,

Nice bit of sunshine spurred me on to get the bike out, just sorted all the coolant leaks and finally ready for a ride... Got back ad there's now a horrendous creaking from the front and starting at the rear now too, when the bike is rolled forwards or back - turns out the bolts holding the rim in place are a touch loose and my wheel is creaking as it moves. The heads of the bolts look like t45 heads, is this right or not? They have been powder coated over so it's a little hard to tell. Also anything I should look for when tightening them, or anything I should or shouldn't do?

Thanks for all your help guys, due to your help my bike is at least running lovely now!

Ryan

Channel Hopper

Re: Tightening comstar wheels

Post by Channel Hopper »

Do you know hoe many miles the wheels have done ?

Is it both front and back ?

The bolts holding them together are seven point torx from memory and have Honda's own thread locking compound on the threads. Unless they have been reassembled by the previous owner(s) I can't see them undoing of their own accord,

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, yes it is both, the front a lot more so than the rear. The wheels were powder coated by the previous owner but theres no sign of assembly after having it done, as it is all coated. The only other thing I can think of is the heat from the powder coating process causing the thread lock to break from expansion and contraction.

The clocks are at 9000 KM, not sure on real mileage to be honest as there are a few things which seem to have received more wear than that.

Ryan

Mark

Post by Mark »

The threadlock does release at high temperatures, so that could be your answer.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo »

Cheers Mark, so would you suggest removing and re threadlocking each bolt as opposed to just tightening?
And Any info on head size? T45 torx seemed to fit but quite poorly

Mark

Post by Mark »

Once you have the nuts and bolts out, have a look at the condition and decide what to do next. The bolts aren't a standard torx size. You will need thread lock If it were me, I'd be fitting something with a standard head, either hex nut, torx or allen. The problem is the shape of the bolts. You'll see what I mean when you get them out.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo »

Sounds like something I don't need... Bike probably won't be ready for summer after all!

What would you suggest using to remove them? I don't want to damage them if I can avoid it but I need to do something! Thanks for all this help

Mark

Post by Mark »

I've just had a quick refresh on your post. You're taking the wheels apart because the bolts are already loose, is that correct?

I've never heard of wheel spokes coming loose, so they may already have been apart at some point. If they are loose, you shouldn't be having much trouble getting them apart.

That said, if they are still tight, your chances of getting them out undamaged are pretty slim unless to fashion your own tool.

Speak to Ian Wright at Classic Race Replicas, he may be able to sort you out with suitable bolts or collars for a standard bolt.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo »

Hi Mark,

A lot seem to be loose, so much so that the wheel creaks when I push the bike along, you can feel it badly through the bars and the powder coating is cracking, I hammered a t45 torx bit into one and it spun quite easily, but when I held the other side it didn't move, but I didn't get the torx bit in as deep the other side. It would explain it if the owner before me had it apart, as it seems everything done by the previous owners has been wrong in a big way, and cost me a lot of money... for example the oil pump set horrendously wrong and the engine mount collars put on the wrong mounts, to name a few.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Oh dear. Sounds like a nightmare.

You may be better off saving your pennies and sourcing a second hand set of wheels. They do tend to pop up at reasonable cost

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

If the wheels are already creaking, you really couldn't do more damage by taking them apart, even destroying the nuts/bolts in the process. Since they have been powdercoated, and look reasonable, you may probably not get a replacement wheel that is in similar aesthetic condition.

As mentioned above, buy some decent modern bolts from a reputable source as soon as, replacing each one as the old is taken out.

And thread locking compound is a must.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo »

Thanks for the input - I've decided to get a new set of wheels, ordered a front from Ian (thanks for the help by the way!) and I'll nab the first good rear I see come up on Ebay, and then just replace the wheels for now, and then maybe in the winter if I get more time, I'll look into sorting out the old ones so that I can either sell them to recover costs, or keep as spares or whatever.

Thanks for all the help guys, Been really helpful as always!