A newbie...

Bike running like a dog? This section might well answer your questions. Posting restricted to registered users.
Greg
AntiSpam: No

A newbie...

Post by Greg »

Hi guys..

Well, I dug deep and took the plunge - I'm now the proud owner of an '84 NS400R, in Camel colours (the purple fading to yellow) with Smokin Joe graphics on the side... 15k miles and a little belter !! I couldn't help myself this afternoon, and threw some fuel into the main line, it took about 300ml to fill all the carbs. The PO hadn't had it running for a few years, and left it parked with old fuel in the system so I wasn't expecting much to happen - if anything... What I didn't expect was a strong kick-back on the lever on the first kick, and cetainly not to have the bugger start on the third prod ... What a result!! She runs nicely, settled into a steady tick-over within a few minutes. The idle is a little high, but I suspect it's a dry choke cable because the throttle's a little stiff too.
I decided to have an exploratory peer into the airbox this evening and found that the filter had lost a couple of segments, one of which I could see in the airbox, the other had just disappeared..Poof! DK Motorcycles sell filter foam squares, so I can make a new one no problem, but is it likely that the missing segment has been sucked into the motor? As I get further into the bike I'll pull the airbox off and whip the heads off (if they're accessible of course) just to see what's going on internally or to see if there's any evidence of plastic goo in one of the cylinders.

I'll get some pics posted tomorrow...

Cheers for now

Greg

Mark

Re: A newbie...

Post by Mark »

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your new toy. You must be pleased to have it start after just a few kicks (unless you can't count of course :wink: :lol: )

The original foam filters have been known to disintgrate. I've had two that fell apart during cleaning, rather than when running.

Chances are that the bits (and all the gunk they'd been previously trying to keep out of the engine) have been sucked into the motor. Check around the reeds incase there's some bits still still laying there, but chances are they've been swallowed. I doubt taking the heads off will reveal anything as the bits will most likely have been shredded by the crank and rods, then burnt and blown down the exhaust. If you want to check cylinder condition you may be best taking off the barrels, or at least the exhausts to peer down the ports.

Original part number for the filter element is 17210-KM9-000 - Still available from Honda for around £5.00

Where abouts are you? Would I be warm if I said Dorset??

You'll have to post some pictures of your pride & joy, I've never seen one in Smokin Joes colours.

Regards

Mark
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

Greg

Post by Greg »

How the feck ....? Dorsetshire is correct, I'm just guessing that you might know Mark the PO...?

I've picked up a 12x12sheet of filter foam from DK motorcycles, cost me about 7 quid all in all, cut it this afternoon and it's on the bike now.

I was chatting with the other Mark yesterday who reminded me about the reed valves (my 2T years were on pre- RD Yams and a couple of old Suzukis) but yes, I'm hoping that not much has disappeared and that if there is anything left it might have been caught by the petals.. Just as well the foam disintegrated quite readily... Having dropped a ring on my old T125 and the middle piston skirt of a GT750 I know what metal does inside an engine, hopefully filter foam will be much kinder ...

I'll get a couple of pics organised over the next couple of days...

Oh - it's Wimborne by the way ..

Cheers

Greg

Mark

Post by Mark »

No, I don't know Mark, but I heard about his bike may be coming up for sale and gave him a call. I think you'd already said you would have it, but hadn't actually collected it. It wasn't difficult, the colour scheme gave it away. There can't be too many around.

I would think that the old foam was so perished that it would have pretty much turned to dust on the way in to the carbs. May be worth having a quick look though, just to get an idea of overall condition. At 15k, it will probably be ready for a set of rings anyway.

Look forward to the photo's 8)

Greg

Post by Greg »

Hey ...

Well, the wife went out long enough for me to be able to wheel the bike into the sun (long story...lol) so here it is!

I made a new air filter from a sheet of dual stage foam from DK spares, so no worries there, and vacuumed out the inlet manifolds just in case there was any foam debris down there, but nothing came up... Everything seems standard under the tank, no mods to the airbox etc., so I think I have a clean sheet to start from! The throttle action is very stiff so I guess the linkages will all need lubing, and the tickover's a lot higher than it should be and the carb sync is a mile off, but I'm a happy puppy in the end...

I guess I'll have to spill the beans to the Missus soon, hahaha not.

Cheers

Greg

Mark

Post by Mark »

You mean she doesn't know.... :shock: :lol:

I'd be concerned about the stiff throttle. Does the throttle close quickly on it's own? Check the oil pump cable. It runs between the front two cylinders, and can get burnt on the exhaust. If it's stuck in the open position, it'll smoke like a bugger. If it's not opening... Well, best not to think about that. Would be worth checking the oil pump cable adjustment while you're down there, assuming it's not already burnt that is..

Looks very tidy. Very nice 8)

Greg

Post by Greg »

Yeah well... it goes like this ..

Money in before money out... I sold a shedload of my surplus TRX bits the other day, and I also sold a project T200 Invader for twice what I bought it for last September... armed with those facts I can't fail.... can I? :oops:

The last time it happened, she said "We don't need another bike ... do we?", now there's the NS in there (albeit camping under canvas) as well as my TRX, KTM400, T125 and the GS8 ... The voices told me to do it....
Last edited by Greg on Tue May 12, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg

Post by Greg »

While I'm at it., Can those Honda Astralike wheels be disassembled for powder coating or somesuch?

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Greg wrote:Yeah well... it goes like this ..

Money in before money out... I sold a shedload of my surplus TRX bits the other day, and I also sold a project T200 Invader for twice what I bought it for last September... armed with those facts I can't fail.... can I? :oops:

The last time it happened, she said "We don't need another bike ... do we?", now there's the NS in there (albeit camping under canvas) as well as my TRX, KTM400, T125 and the GS8 ... The voices told me to do it....
Wives never understand this sort of logic. Seems fine to me :D

Mark

Post by Mark »

Greg wrote:While I'm at it., Can those Honda Astralike wheels be disassembled for powder coating or somesuch?
Quick answer is yes.

You really need to talk to Ian Wright. He's got it down to a fine art now.

fredie

Post by fredie »

welcome . good too see more ns400r owners :twisted: