Foam filters.

Bike running like a dog? This section might well answer your questions. Posting restricted to registered users.
MMS
AntiSpam: No

Foam filters.

Post by MMS »

Has anyone here tried individual foam filters on the carbs to replace the standard airbox?, there seems to be a reasonable amount of room and there are enough good quality filters on the market of various sizes that there should be something out there that fits. I'm just wondering if there are any unforeseen problems lurking before I start.

The bike will not be used on the road for now, just track use. I'm also only considering using good quality fully foam constructed filters.

Thanks.

Channel Hopper

Re: Foam filters.

Post by Channel Hopper »

The standard carbs are flat slide type in a bank that makes them suitable for the airbox on the bike.

To fit individual filters brings in the risk of turbulence that could affect the fuel/air ratios.

The standard modification is to drill a few holes in the top and sides of the air-box (South African ?), however I would think a better breathing option would be to construct an airbox of the same size as the original out of small section chicken-wire, securing the carbs via a solid section (possibly the remains of the original box), then mould the filter material around the remainder of the outside.

luggy

Post by luggy »

can you explain that again? :?:
gravity is an extreme painful thing !

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

luggy wrote:can you explain that again? :?:

Of course

'a better breathing option would be to construct an airbox of the same size as the original out of small section chicken-wire, securing the carbs via a solid section (possibly the remains of the original box), then mould the filter material around the remainder of the outside'.

luggy

Post by luggy »

ok ,but with the breathing becomming easier for the motor, more air, the problem of carb setup would then follow, and how precise can you get that done ?
gravity is an extreme painful thing !