leaky fuel taps/ knackered diaphragm

Bike running like a dog? This section might well answer your questions. Posting restricted to registered users.
timb
AntiSpam: No

leaky fuel taps/ knackered diaphragm

Post by timb »

Reckon I've just avoided the left cylinder flooding nightmare with petrol due to fuel tap diaphragm failure. ie petrol leaking from engine casing (left) coupled with flooding and bad starting.

Cure - new diaphragm, using repair kit for cbx550 fuel tap - just over ten quid on ebay.

I am also going to fit a safety back up in case of certain future failure ie a second, discreet inline fuel tap and fuel filter, there is room to secure both under the main frame strut.

Anyone here ever done this.

Also, I'm cleaning the rust off the inside of the petrol tank by electrolysis. Will post the results here later.
Timb

Mark

Re: leaky fuel taps/ knackered diaphragm

Post by Mark »

timb wrote:petrol leaking from engine casing (left) coupled with flooding and bad starting.
You shouldn't have petrol leaking from your engine casing, that's not a good sign...

Was it from behind the flywheel cover? If so, it means you've pretty much filled the crank case for the LH cylinder. But it also indicates that the LH crank seal is likely to be damaged.

Might be worth doing a leakdown test to be on the safe side.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

timb
AntiSpam: No

Re: leaky fuel taps/ knackered diaphragm

Post by timb »

Hmm

The specific location of the petrol leak was around the area of the front sprocket. It was only a slight drip and the situation developed after a run out. i couldn't attend to the problem straight away so I cut the fuel pipe in the hope of avoiding left hand cylinder flooding. The leak stop very quickly and there has been none since. The engine still turns over on the kickstart so I there is no hydraulic lock problem.

I am hoping I intervened quickly enough