Which Fuel brand?

Bike running like a dog? This section might well answer your questions. Posting restricted to registered users.
woody194
AntiSpam: No

Which Fuel brand?

Post by woody194 »

Hi all

What fuel do people generally run, I was thinking Shell optimax any thoughts
Stu

Other bikes CBR1100 Blackbird & ZX7R P5

Mark

Re: Which Fuel brand?

Post by Mark »

Shell is probably your best bet
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I believe the Shell contains alcohol in all grades. Always buy premium grade. ESSO was pure petrol rather than an ethanol blend but these things are constantly changing....

woody194

Re: Which Fuel brand / NS on the road yesss

Post by woody194 »

Cheers guys

Have spoken to a mate of mine running a F1 cart with a 250 CR engine they all run esso as they have seen some issue with destination using shell?

So ESSO synergy premium it is

There also additives to kill the ethanol in modern (E10 ) fuels which is why it goes off so quickly (90 days ) it also takes on moisture which is why we see corroded tanks :(

Couple of links but loads of articles on the web

http://www.fuelsystemguide.com/what-is- ... treatment/

http://www.frost.co.uk/protect-your-veh ... st-ethanol

Good news is NS passed its MOT today and is now taxed :D - pity about the weather :(

Alistair
See you in the IOM for a beer ?

Stu
Stu

Other bikes CBR1100 Blackbird & ZX7R P5

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sure

I'm over on Thursday night til Tuesday. Whenever you there? PM me your mobile again. I lost my contacts a few months ago :oops:

podman

Post by podman »

I cant detect any difference between brands on any of my bikes ( 3 strokers and 1 fourstroke) , a tweaked CR engine may run into detonation issues but a std NS400 isnt going to. We run our bikes (an NS400 and RD350LC) on E10 in 30+ degrees of heat in the south of france with no problems.
ovGVZQ23.jpg
If the bikes are sat unused any longer than a few months thats because its Winter eh?

I drain the carbs and tanks for fuel, add some 2T oil to the tank, give it a swirl, which is a much better solution to the ethanol/water issue IMHO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Modern fuel gums up real quick. I've found I have to put Redex in the tank of the lawnmower to stop the idle circuit from gumming up from being stopped for only 2 weeks.

podman

Post by podman »

Alastair wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:50 pm
Modern fuel gums up real quick. I've found I have to put Redex in the tank of the lawnmower to stop the idle circuit from gumming up from being stopped for only 2 weeks.

No doubt its not as good as it once was but I do think the "problem" is overhyped, from my expierence anyway.my 350,500LC fire up first or second kick after being sat for a few weeks and even my well renowned for being finnicky KR1 , due to reasons outside my control then, had to sit in storage from October 2016 to April 2017 without being touched and amazingly that fired up 1st kick and run as sweet as.

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

i don't find the brand of fuel makes much difference, but since I started using super unleaded I have less trouble with gumming up. especially on my carbed bikes. The Buell was particularly suspect to pilot jet clogging up if left for a few weeks, but not happened since using super unleaded.
Fuel injected bikes have no problems even after months of "resting"... :D
2 NS400s and other stuff.....

jgotro

Post by jgotro »

The carbs on my NS400, 85 ZX600 and RZ350 have been plugged up by ethanol laden gas. I now use only 100 octane aviation gas (alcohol free) and haven't had a problem. I have to go to the airport to fill my cans but it's way easier than cleaning the carbs.