Spark

The bit everyone hates, electrical problems. Hope you find your fix here. Posting restricted to registered users.
wolfgangh

Spark

Post by wolfgangh » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 pm

After reassembling my NS400 now after an engine rebuild and wire loom cleanup ( replaced the loose insulating tape, cleaned connectors etc) I have no spark now. I checked all electrical connections from the exciter coils, pickups all the way to the CDIs and coils, also bl/w wire from the ignition switch / kill switch is correct.
Why would suddenly all 3 coils or both CDIs be def3ctive? This is statistically almost impossible. This leaves only the exciter windings, the rotor magnets or the pickups.

All coil resistance and pickup resistances are within spec. Could the magnets of the rotor have become de- magnetized, since the rotor was in a box with other metal parts for a year? How can I test if the rotor / coils induce any voltage for the CDIs?

Could I ttest the generator output with a small bulb between any of the white wires while kicking it, and this would show if the rotor magnets are still effective? Any ideas please help.

wolfgangh

Re: Spark

Post by wolfgangh » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Hello,
I have now measured all pins on the CDIs according to page 17-5 in the manual. There are a couple of different values. I only have kicked the bike a few times without a battery connected, I dont think this could have caused enough overvoltage to kill any circuit in the CDI. Do you know if the values provided in the manual are reliable, or could there be mistakes?
5F41FAB5-A0AE-493F-83C3-A3800D607478.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Have you checked the earthing points on the frame and engine are making contact.

You could try a ferrous screwdriver on the rotor just to confirm it is still magnetised, though I have not heard that the NS400 can fail in this way.

Paul-IOM
AntiSpam: No

Post by Paul-IOM » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:20 pm

To suddenly lose all sparks it sounds like a dead short to earth, for example a dodgy kill switch maybe?

wolfgangh

Post by wolfgangh » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Paul-IOM wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:20 pm
To suddenly lose all sparks it sounds like a dead short to earth, for example a dodgy kill switch maybe?
I already disconnected both black/ white wires coming from the kill switch and ignition switch, the respective connectors at the CDI‘s have no connection to Earth. Today I will visit another NS400 owner and measure his CDI‘s for comparison.