Cdi for front cylinders

The bit everyone hates, electrical problems. Hope you find your fix here. Posting restricted to registered users.
BARNETBOYO
AntiSpam: No

Cdi for front cylinders

Post by BARNETBOYO »

I’m having problems with an intermittent misfire on number 1 cylinder! I swapped coils and it was the same, when bridged it fires perfectly which makes me think it’s the ecu! I don’t want to spend a fortune on a new one so if I could borrow one to test (will leave a deposit) or if anyone has one for sale for a sensible price?? Any help will be brilliant, cheers Alan...

Channel Hopper

Re: Cdi for front cylinders

Post by Channel Hopper »

Have you tried cleaning the connector block that goes to the important bit of the front pair CDI ?

Whilst it could be an internal fault of the unit, I would believe the two connectors are simply separated inside the capsule for convenience of wiring (there is no point in creating a secondary pulse for a cylinder that does nothing different to the other running at the same crank angle), so bridging outside is just mimicking what Honda's partner's electronics do inside the sealed unit.

Whereabouts are you btw (Barnet ?) :D

BARNETBOYO

Post by BARNETBOYO »

I cleaned all the connectors thoroughly and it made no noticeable difference, I have bought a second hand CDI now, just waiting for it to arrive hopefully it should sort it out! I used to live in Barnet but now I’m in Lancashire near Burnley, thanks for the reply/advice, will post on here when it’s fixed!!

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

OK, before you connect it up to the bike, check with a meter between the two coil outputs and compare it with your one.

Good luck, I do have a spare here if both are screwed, though I'm not driving beyond Barnet to deliver.

BARNETBOYO

Post by BARNETBOYO »

Running perfectly now with the replaced CDI....