Coil wiring colour - Cylinder 2

The bit everyone hates, electrical problems. Hope you find your fix here. Posting restricted to registered users.
Channel Hopper

Coil wiring colour - Cylinder 2

Post by Channel Hopper »

I am just about to run up the yellow beast.

I cant hear the ATAC chambers on startup (will check into that later) , but I do have a spark on all three cylinders and plenty of fuel going in to the chambers, but before I combine the two and start her I thought I would check the wiring loom as the previous owner has swapped engines at some point.

In the manual

http://www.ns400r.co.uk/ns400r/manual/1 ... m/17-0.htm

The wire driving the ingoing pulse to the coil for No2 cylinder is supposed to be yellow, but on mine it is actually blue, which would suggest there is a swop over of coil to pulser wires, however the correct connector is used, and this terminates in a correct female spade for the coil itself.

Can anyone confirm if the wiring loom was changed at any time in the NS400 production, or if I just happen to have an odd Jap import that is a law unto itself ?

Ian
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No
Location: UK, Near the middle................................

Post by Ian »

Wire from the pulse coil to number 1 and 3 cylinders (front two) is yellow.

Wire from the pulse coil to number 2 cylinder is BLUE.

Ground is green on both.

Says so on the wiring link you listed.

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Sorry, was not clear. The wire to the ignition coil is also blue on mine.

I have double checked again this morning, all other wires appear to be as the diagram, so I'll probably start her this afternoon

All fluids checked, no petrol in gearbox oil, no fluids in alternator housing. Looking good

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

and..............

.........it didn't start.

Not through want of trying or anything

Checked compresession - all three cylinders look fine.

Checked again enough fuel was going through (and set alight to the airbox in the process)

Changed the two CDI units for the ones in the spare bike, no change.

Remade the ends of the coils to the HT caps - Front left is a bastard as it is just too short, and so used the one from the spare bike - no change.

Cleaned up all three plugs and checked them on the XBR500 coil, they are all fine.

Even took off the alternator cover and flywheel to see if there was anything wrong with the pulsers/wiring underneath - Nothing to report.

BTW - Checked everything else I could, the ATAC on No 1 was seized solid and so I took the exhausts off completely.

My only suspicion is that there seems there is a weak spark on all three cylinders, I can see a small if the plug is placed on the frame when the engine is kicked over, but I can't feel anything when putting it in the hand (maybe I have turned into rubber ?)

Recharged the battery just to be sure - no change.

Tried bump starting her, (but I am getting old)

Will try the earthing circuit tomorrow, unless somebody can throw light on this, and I would need to know if the colour idents on the coil connectors are important. I have connected the ground (green) to the green identifier on all three but the manual isn't clear on this.

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Doing my best to keep it in the section about electrickery I know, but I always believed there was something suspect abouth the sparko system.

Why did they dump magneto systems ?

Mat Grant

Post by Mat Grant »

Hi Hopper,

If the bike has a spark, a good fuel air mixture, and compression - it will start.

Do the exhausts smell of petrol after a few kicks? Does the tap flow petrol? Are the carbs filling up? are the jets clear? Have you checked compression?

If it hasn't run for a while, I'd start with taking the carbs off and checking the jets aren't blocked.

Good luck!

Cheers, Mat.

PS - did you find the kickstarter return spring? And are you still after some swarbrick cans?
Mat Grant

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Bike has fuel going through the carbs OK, just the spark is very weak.

I did not get a reply over the kickstart spring and so I did not take the second engine out of the box of bits as yet.

I will make it down to Sandhurst to collect the cans soon, make sure you are in/answer the door . :D

Mat Grant

Post by Mat Grant »

Hi,

Yes let me know and I'll make sure I'm at the front of the house waiting.... :oops:

Cheers, Mat.
Mat Grant

gumball

Re: Coil wiring colour - Cylinder 2

Post by gumball »

I don't know if this will help. Turning on the ignition and holding out your tester. ground the negative of the tester, get the positive and tap it on the coil wiring... one side should light. That is the positive.
HIGH RPM IS WHERE IT IS!
Tread With Caution