Aftermarket rear shock

Front & Back. Information for upgrades or servicing can be found here. Posting restricted to registered users.
MarkBevans
AntiSpam: No

Aftermarket rear shock

Post by MarkBevans »

Ok gents thanks for the update on the YSS shock available for our NS400r bikes. I’ve always known of the Hagon product, yet with no first hand experience with either can anyone chime in on which offers excellent street manners, and possible track day composure?

I have 2 OEM NS400r shocks, but both seem great for display purposes, yet since I’m in the middle of a complete re-new of the forks with tubes, springs, bushings, seals and such I want a rear shock that actually works proper.

Any insights?
Thanx!
1985 NS400r junkie

Alastair

Re: Aftermarket rear shock

Post by Alastair »

I had a Hagon unit on mine. It was OK, but needed regular overhaul. I couldn't add remote preload adjuster so you couldn't adjust the preload which was a real pita.

I didn't fancy spending more money on cheap shocks, and after some horrible wobbles at the Verandah one TT, I had a custom Ohlins done by KAIS. It is superb and adjustable for compression, rebound and preload.
DSC_0718_zps82rmhfsw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MarkBevans

Post by MarkBevans »

Ohlins are great, and have them on my Ducati, fantastic shock and forks. But was hoping for something a bit more economical.
For the little Honda it would be killer, but maybe not the price?
1985 NS400r junkie

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Depends on your perspective I guess. But they are bloody expensive I will grant you. Give KAIS a call and see what they would charge now.

Or see what Ian Wright can sell you.

MarkBevans

Post by MarkBevans »

Thanks, I’ll check with Ian. As I’ve been building a list for him anyway of extra bits needed.
1985 NS400r junkie

MarkBevans

Post by MarkBevans »

Ordered up a YSS unit. Per a very knowledgeable recommendation on it. Ohlins would be sweet for sure, just not in that pay-grade presently.
1985 NS400r junkie

OZZYSBIKES

Post by OZZYSBIKES »

I have to ask the question "what have you done with the front end ?"

I am less bothered about rear grip and feel than front, maybe the front end is perfect ? I think that it's pretty good as standard forks go, only drained oil and refilled with mine and done nothing else, is it worth spending lots on a rear shock without improving (if the thought is that it's possible) the front ?

I would rather have the rear out of shape than the front

MarkBevans

Post by MarkBevans »

Very good points!
The front end has been completely disassembled, totally cleaned with all new fork tubes, bushings/seals etc etc. The front end should be as new, I added a excellent ATF oil at the proper level.
As far as rear suspension, all freshly greased linkage, new wheel bearings, trued rims fresh BT-45’s.
Shocks= My original rear shock was 32k miles old locked up in most respects. I bought a replacement OEM NS400R shock that actually has an adjustable adjuster, I’m sure its decent and indeed I’ll keep it for the originality if someone after my passing wants a 100% original bike, LOL!

I have always looked towards Ohlins for quality shocks, I’ve gone through 4 complete sets during my years in AMA professional racing on 5 different bikes, but yes (reality check) I am restoring a little classic, a whole different kind of bike. I live in the mountains and intend to keep the little NS for those days when I want to take it out for an enjoyable ride, taking me back to the enjoyment I had riding my RD500LC on these same country roads 35 years ago.

So I’ll try the YSS rear shock. But totally agree the front end was indeed my major priority. This build I’m doing is a total “nut & bolt” assembly. Since my cherry condition OEM pipes were stolen, I’ve just purchased a set of LOMAS side by side chambers so even though this bike is a early serial number French Rothmans model, the shock and pipes will mark it as a “mostly” original NS with a few added bits :D

Side note; I really appreciate all inputs on this restoration from all, every little bit of information helps a lot !!
Thanks all,
Mark
1985 NS400r junkie

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Provided to original forks are in good nick, the front end is fine.. Obviously it ain't as good as modern gear, but I've not felt the need to do anything further to mine, nor is it mismatched to the Ohlins rear.

I think tyres and wheels are a much bigger limiting factor.