fork oil leak

Front & Back. Information for upgrades or servicing can be found here. Posting restricted to registered users.
nsnutter

fork oil leak

Post by nsnutter »

Just got back from a ride last nite, when i found to my horror a stream of new fork oil dripping down the leg of the left fork and onto the brakes! Its done less than 500 miles since the seals were replaced, so i guess i have a problem. Anyone have a more permanent solution to this, as i dont want to change the seals in another 500 miles!
mike

Ian
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No
Location: UK, Near the middle................................

Post by Ian »

Ermmmm, do you have pitted fork legs that have damaged the seal ?
Did you overfill the legs with oil ?

nsnutter

Post by nsnutter »

I had a good look at the chrome when the legs were apart and yes there was some very mild pitting, thought it would be ok..........oh well. The oil level was as per the manual, but i did use after market seals, not honda ones (cheap skate) Maybe the genuine seals are more durable?
I guess the only real long term solution is to strip and replate the chrome, then rebuild the legs. Or find a new set of forks?
mike

Lynton

Re fork pitting

Post by Lynton »

As a Person with several "old" bikes the fork pitting problem can be solved. If you don't want to spend a fortune but want the forks to work well you clean them very thoroughly e.g with degreaser then acetone and then you fill all the pits with Araldite and sand it smooth to the fork shape with very fine wet & dry sand paper. This provides a smooth, hard surface for the seals to work against. If it is badly pitted you won't recover the cosmetic appearance but you will definately restore the operational capacity.
I have done this many times and it does work and works well

Lynton

nsnutter

Post by nsnutter »

Cheers! I will give it a go. Did you repair the forks on the bike or diid you strip them down to do the whole chrome section?

Lynton

Re forks

Post by Lynton »

Have done both ways. Generally the pitting is only on the external exposed area and can be done on the bike if good enough access is available

Lynton

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Lynton you old cheapskate..........

the seal has to act against a smooth surface, anything proud of the surface is going to tear the wiper, so cleanliness of the run is paramount.

As long as the pits are only pits with no crater ridges, you should be OK, but I would be hesitant to go to a rechoming station without proof (word of mouth), many butcher the grinding process, leaving you with a dildo/ribbed effect.

Ive found the best prevention on other bikes is the aerosol 3 in 1 oil, coupled with a set of gaiters, but it doesnt look right on a 'modern bike'.
Vaseline in the shrouds and keeping the weather off is the best approach.
One day there will be a decent alternative to chrome forks (nicasil makes a return perhaps ?)

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Channel Hopper wrote:
coupled with a set of gaiters, but it doesnt look right on a 'modern bike'.
Mine's got gaiters on it. You don't even notice them to be honest and they save a huge amount of grief.

gumball

Re: fork oil leak

Post by gumball »

I sprayed "fix a flat" , that liquid spray can for the tires in just a few bursts. leaked air out and sprayed again, so far it's been 2 weeks no leaks yet and has just dropped a psi. Hope it doesn't clog the tiny holes inside though. but it's working so far )
HIGH RPM IS WHERE IT IS!
Tread With Caution

luggy
AntiSpam: No

Re: fork oil leak

Post by luggy »

nothing like the sun mirroring on your fresh clean forks is there, shame to put a durex on it !
gravity is an extreme painful thing !