FORK SEALS

Front & Back. Information for upgrades or servicing can be found here. Posting restricted to registered users.
andy barnes

FORK SEALS

Post by andy barnes » Sat May 27, 2006 10:24 pm

HI, I HAVE RECENTLY SORTED MY FRONT FORK PROBLEMS BUT NOW FOLLOWS ANOTHER. IN THE GREAT AND MESSY TASK OF REPLACING FORK SEALS I NEED TO FIND A FORK SEAL DRIVER, NOW I KNOW THAT SOMEBODY MUST HAVE ONE OR SO GOOD ADVICE. READING OTHER WEBS I THINK THE CHEAPEST AND QUICKEST WAY IS THE "CUT POLY PIPE". A SEECTION OF SLITS ALONG A LENGTH OF PLASTIC PIPE AND THEN A ZIP TIES TO BRING IT TOGETHER, BIT OF WOOD ON TOP AND FEW SLAPS WITH THE HAMMER, SEATED. I HAVE NOT DONE THIS YET PENDING ADVICE.

ALISTER I WILL NOT BE PUTTING FORK COVERS ON BUT I UNDERSTAND THEY ARE USEFUL.

WHEN THIS TASK IS DONE ANOTHER STEP CLOSER TO BEING OUT THERE, WELL ACTUALLY I AM READY. WILL ALSO TRY AND DO SOME RUN TO MATLOCK WORK/WEATHER DEPENDING.
MY USUAL LOOK ON EBAY HAS LET ME DOWN ONLY TWO ITEMS AND £50, NO CHANCE,

I AWAIT RESPONSE'S.

THANKS ANDY

Ian
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No
Location: UK, Near the middle................................

Post by Ian » Tue May 30, 2006 1:58 am

Shouldn't really be any need to 'hammer' the seals in Andy.
Replaced both mine late last year and they went in with no problems.
Make sure that the insides of the forks are clean then give the seals a light coating of oil and slide then down the fork legs. Final stage can be helped with a gentle push from a suitable blunt tool.

HDNumber8

Post by HDNumber8 » Tue May 30, 2006 8:28 pm

every set of seals ive changed on god knows how many bikes (50plus)ive needed a driver , normally i use the old forkseal and slowly work myway round hammering it in , normally tape up the stantion with packing tape so as not to scratch it ... or use a rubber hammer :D

ocasionally if its being a stubborn shit i use some old fork stantions ive laying arpund in vairious sizes ...
Im not normally a evil man , just when i get behing the keyboard i turn into a raving nutter of a keyboard jocky! But im nice realy

Alastair

Post by Alastair » Wed May 31, 2006 6:40 pm

My experience has been more like Ian's. The seals go in real easy. The pig is getting the circlips back in.

Try putting the slit poly pipe in boiling water and bending it with your hands. It should permanently deform and that should be fine for driving in the seal. From memory I think I used a method similar to Iam's but with a bloody great washer between the tool and seal.

andy barnes

Fork Seals 2

Post by andy barnes » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:46 pm

Thanks for the advice, was a bit cheeky and took the fork to my Honda dealer, who earns good money from me from time to time, and he took it round the back and used his driver and put the ciclip in for free!!!!!. Great days. I have my 916 forks to do the same thing with. They are a whole different ball park though. What weight fork oil would anyone suggest. i have 10WT.

Thanks Andy

Alastair

Post by Alastair » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:57 pm

I use the recommended automatic transmission fluid